Shawn Ryan, best known for his work on The Shield (2002-08) and The Chicago Code (2011-), and Eric Kripke, best known for his work on Supernatural (2005) and The Boys (2019), came up with the idea for Timeless. The first episode of the American time-traveling science fiction drama aired on NBC on October 3, 2016.
Using an experimental time machine, the protagonists of this narrative set out to thwart the efforts of a sinister organization focused on altering the course of events. Two seasons of the show have been broadcast to positive reviews. The question now is whether or not there will be a third season of Timeless. First, let’s take a quick look at the series’s specifics, and then we’ll go into that question.
Timeless Season 3 Renewal Status
The show’s co-creator Eric Kripke forewarned viewers at the end of season 2 that the numbers weren’t good enough to assure a season 3 renewal. After the success of the first season of Timeless, it seemed doubtful that the series would be renewed for a second season. Fans were left hoping for a resolution after the shocking events of the season 2 finale of Timeless.NBC (again) canceled Timeless after its second season, but the network left the door open for a two-hour finale movie to finish up the show’s storylines.
Timeless Season 3 Release Date
On March 11, 2018, NBC debuted season 2 of Timeless. It ended on May 13, 2018, after 10 episodes had aired.
The third season concluded with a two-part finale that premiered on December 20, 2018, bringing the story to a close. Timeless has concluded its run and will not return at any point in the future. The series was cancelled not once, but twice: initially on May 10, 2017, and again in June of this year. The second vote was considered to be the deciding vote. After receiving mediocre ratings, NBC opted to cancel the show. Therefore, season 3 of Timeless has been canceled unless NBC changes its mind for some compelling reason or the fan-led movement becomes successful.
- Abigail Spencer as Lucy Preston, a history professor and leader of the “Lifeboat” team
- Matt Lanter as Master Sergeant Wyatt Logan, a United States Army Delta Force officer and soldier of the “Lifeboat” team
- Malcolm Barrett as Rufus Carlin, a programmer, and pilot of the “Lifeboat” team
- Paterson Joseph as Connor Mason, head of Mason Industries, creator of the “Lifeboat” and “Mothership” time machines
- Sakina Jaffrey as Denise Christopher, the Department of Homeland Security agent in charge of the “Lifeboat” team
- Claudia Doumit as Jiya Marri, a talented young programmer at Mason Industries.
- Goran Višnjić as Garcia Flynn, an Eastern European-based ex-National Security Agency asset turned terrorist whom the team chases when he steals the “Mothership”
- Matt Frewer as Anthony Bruhl, time travel project leader at Mason Industries
Susanna Thompson as Carol Preston, Lucy’s mother, and a Rittenhouse member
- John Getz as Benjamin Cahill, Rittenhouse agent, and Lucy’s biological father
- Chad Rook as Karl, Flynn’s henchman
- Annie Wersching as Emma Whitmore, former Mason Industries employee, and Rittenhouse member
- Michael Rady as Nicholas Keynes, Rittenhouse leader from 1918
- Tonya Glanz as Jessica Logan, Wyatt’s wife
Season one’s problem is established when one of the most hazardous fugitives, Garcia Flynn, steals a cutting-edge time machine. United States government officials have entrusted a trio—history teacher Lucy Preston, soldier Wyatt Logan, and scientist Rufus Carlin—with saving the world from an impending calamity.
Flynn, their archenemy from the previous season, turns out to be a team player after all. The town of Rittenhouse becomes the evil center of all the complications that arise. This season revisits historical events like The Salem Witch Hunt, with the team and Flynn banding together to rescue Lucy after she is accused of witchcraft along with all the other women in Salem.
In the season two finale, the teams of the future from the year 2023 reveal to them why Rufus is so important to their eventual success in defeating Rittenhouse. By making a change in the past, Rufus is spared. The group succeeds in vanquishing Rittenhouse. A look into the future reveals the characters’ everyday lives. In order to resolve the bootstrap paradox of their time travel, they return to 2014, the year in which Flynn’s mission against the Rittenhouse took root, setting in motion the events that would lead to their future.
Timeless had a film but no third season.
After NBC dropped Timeless for a third season, the show’s creators and the network settled on a conclusion film. In July 2018, NBC made the decision to make a movie as the series finale for Timeless. Lucy, Wyatt, and Rufus’s stories, along with Flynn’s and the supporting cast’s, were concluded in the two-part Timeless series finale that aired on NBC in December 2018. It was a fitting end to the beloved TV series, although a hasty one.
Therefore, Season 3 of Timeless never occurred and never will. While fans of other shows (Arrested Development and Veronica Mars in particular) have successfully lobbied for many revivals of their favorite shows, Timeless has been canceled. In the meantime, at least.