There aren’t many comedic science fiction detective shows, but Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency is one of the few exceptions. The show is made by BBC America and shown on Netflix, AMC Studios, Ideate Media, and IDW Entertainment around the world. The sitcom centers on Dirk Gently, a so-called “holistic detective” who examines cases from multiple angles. After befriending Todd Brotzman and Farah Black, he is able to successfully solve cases with their assistance.
Two seasons of the show have been broadcast to positive reviews. The question now is whether or not Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency will return for a third season. We’ll get into that, but first, let’s take a short look at the series’s specifics.
Dirk Gently‘s Holistic Detective Agency Season 3 Release Date
The eight-episode first season, which began on BBC America on October 22, 2016, to excellent reviews and concluded on December 10, 2016, was prompted by the novel series of the same name by Douglas Adams. On December 11, 2016, Netflix made all episodes available.
BBC America renewed the show for a second season on November 21, 2016, and the second season’s ten episodes premiered on October 14, 2017. BBC America made the choice to terminate the show after the second season finale aired. In March 2020, a vast quantity of the show’s props and costumes were sold at auction.
Fans, however, were not willing to accept the cancellation of the series and became outraged, leading to the startlingly high number of over 100,000 signatures on a petition to renew the show for a third season. In fact, there is one explanation for the cancellation of Dirk Gently season 3, which will be discussed below.
Dirk Gently‘s Holistic Detective Agency Storyline
The series is based on Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which is itself based on a Doctor Who novel. Dirk Gently, the protagonist, claims to be a “holistic detective” who looks into strange cases that involve anything and everything. In the first season, the investigator became close with his two assistants, Todd Brotzman and Farah Black. Dirk has been accepted into the CIA’s top-secret Project Black Wing Detective program for evaluating individuals with exceptional skills. As a result, numerous investigators are watching him closely to make sure he gets back to work on the project and does what he must be. Another rival is his former superior, “Bart Curlish, who sees herself as a holistic assassin sent by the universe to eliminate Dirk.
Dirk Gently‘s Holistic Detective Agency Cast
- Samuel Barnett as Dirk Gently, an eccentric “holistic” detective, who understands everything in the universe to be interconnected.
- Elijah Wood as Todd Brotzman, Dirk’s reluctant sidekick/assistant.
- Hannah Marks as Amanda Brotzman, Todd’s sister who suffers from pararibulitis
- Jade Eshete as Farah Black, an efficient and tough security officer with obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Fiona Dourif as Bart Curlish, a “holistic” assassin who believes that the universe leads her to people she has to kill
- Mpho Koaho as Ken Adams, an electronics expert whom Bart kidnaps and forces to travel with her.
- Michael Eklund as Martin, leader of the Rowdy 3.
- Osric Chau as Vogel, the youngest member of the Rowdy 3.
- Viv Leacock as Gripps, a member of the Rowdy 3.
- Zak Santiago as Cross, a member of the Rowdy 3.
- Dustin Milligan as Sgt. Hugo Friedkin, a dimwitted government agent tracking Dirk.
- Neil Brown Jr. as Det. Estevez, a missing persons detective, and Zimmerfield’s partner.
- Richard Schiff as Det. Zimmerfield, a missing persons detective, and Estevez’s partner.
- Miguel Sandoval as Col. Scott Riggins, a government agent and Sgt. Friedkin’s commanding officer.
- David Lewis as Agent Weedle, an FBI agent at odds with detectives Estevez and Zimmerfield.
- Fiona Vroom as Jessica Wilson, government overseer of the Blackwing project.
- Aaron Douglas as Gordon Rimmer
- Michael Adamthwaite as Zed, a key member of the Men of the Machine.
- Christian Bako as Ed, a key member of the Men of the Machine.
- Mackenzie Gray as Lux Dujour, a disappeared rock star.
- Alison Thornton as Lydia Spring, a missing heiress, daughter of the murdered Patrick Spring.
- Julian McMahon as Patrick Spring / Edgar Spring / Zackariah Webb, a murdered millionaire and father of Lydia Spring.
- Tyler Labine as Sherlock Hobbs, an under-stimulated
- Izzie Steele as Tina Tevetino, Hobbs’ deputy
- Alan Tudyk as Mr. Osmund Priest, a ruthless, dangerous
- Alexia Fast as Mona Wilder, a.k.a. “Project Lamia”
- Amanda Walsh as Suzie Boreton, an unassuming, insecure
- John Stewart as Bob Boreton
- Jared Ager-Foster as Scott Boreton
- Christopher Russell as Panto Trost
- Lee Majdoub as Silas Dengdamor
- Ajay Friese as Farson Dengdamor
- Aleks Paunovic as Wygar Oak
- Emily Tennant as The Beast
- John Hannah as The Mage
Why Was Dirk Gently‘s Holistic Detective Agency Season 3 canceled?
Critics were enthusiastic about the first and pilot seasons. Based on 28 reviews, the average rating on Rotten Tomatoes is 6.54/10, giving the film a 71% approval rating. Based on 14 critics’ scores, the first season received a 62 out of 100 on Metacritic. Season 2 was just as warmly received as the first. Based on 11 reviews, the average rating for Rotten Tomatoes is 7.33 out of 10.
Nonetheless, it did not perform as well as the first season did in terms of viewership, with an average of under 250,000 viewers per episode, compared to an average of 287,000 viewers per episode in Season 1. These ratings, which were somewhat lower than those of another BBC America program, Orphan Black, are generally agreed upon as the primary motivating factor behind the network’s decision to terminate or discontinue the program.
Therefore, taking fewer viewers from the first season is not a strong indicator of the show’s financial success. Unfortunately, in the entertainment industry, profits come before creativity and originality. Unfortunately, Dirk Gently fell victim to it, leading to the show’s demise.
Where can I watch Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency Season 3?
We just broke the news to Dirk Gently Holistic Detective Agency Season 3 that there won’t be a third season. No over-the-top service currently has Season 3 of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. However, you may watch old episodes of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency on the Netflix app. It is immediately available for streaming.