Jason Bateman and Richard Price create, produce, and develop the American criminal drama series The Outsider for television. Supporting cast members include Cynthia Erivo as private investigator Holly Gibney and Ben Mendelsohn as detective Ralph Anderson. A local youngster was brutally murdered by a mysterious figure called El Cuco, and the series centers on the investigation into the murder. By the end of the 10-episode season, which HBO is careful to term a “drama series” rather than a miniseries, Ralph and Holly face up against El Cuco and appear to have slain it.
The show’s creator and executive producer, Richard Price, has expressed interest in returning for a second season of The Outsider. While speaking to IndieWire in January, he assured them, “Of course, there will be another. If a show is successful, it will always be renewed for a second season. Whether or not the show will be renewed is up in the air after a season finale that left viewers wanting more.
The Outsider Season 2 Release Date
The second season of ‘The Outsider,’ for which a premiere date has not been set, has generated considerable anticipation. Fans are eager to find out what Stephen King (Castle Rock, Season 3) has planned for the upcoming second season of The Outsider after reports surfaced that the first season adapted almost one hundred percent of the novel.
The demand for Stephen King to pen a second season of ‘The Outsider’ is high, but he is in no way obligated to do so. So, it seems likely that a second season will premiere in 2021, notwithstanding the COVID-19 problem. The first season ended with a cliffhanger suggesting that Holly will be El Cuco’s next victim. It looks like production on Season 2 will be shelved.
The Outsider Storyline
All of the clues at the scene of the crime in the first season of The Outsider point to Terry as the killer, which is one of the show’s most shocking revelations. Terry, though, insists that he is in the dark about Franklin’s demise. What follows Franklyn’s brutal murder is arguably more intriguing than the crime itself.
Every member of the community is affected by these occurrences. The inexplicable events that unfold after the death of the local child knock the entire community off kilter. And now that strange things have been happening around town, people are starting to wonder if Terry is innocent. They keep wondering if Terry was framed and if all the proof against him was planted. What if the true foe is more formidable than they anticipated?
The police and investigation team are at a loss as they try to make sense of Franklin’s killing and Terry’s assertion of innocence. The evidentiary trail is full of coincidences, which is even more concerning.
You’ll be on the edge of your seat throughout The Outsider because it’s the right blend of crime, fantasy, and drama. The chain reaction of horrors that begins with one death is enormous. There are more fatalities, more mysteries, and many unanswered questions.
The Outsider Cast
- Ben Mendelsohn as Ralph Anderson, a detective in the Cherokee City police department.
- Jason Bateman as Terry Maitland, a Little League baseball coach who is arrested for the murder of a young boy, Frankie Peterson.
- Bill Camp as Howie Salomon, the Maitlands’ trusted lawyer, comes at odds with Ralph over the investigation before assisting on the case.
- Jeremy Bobb as Alec Pelley, Howard’s partner at his firm refers the detectives to Holly Gibney.
- Julianne Nicholson as Glory Maitland, Terry’s wife, who struggles to raise her children amidst the stigma placed on her family after her husband’s arrest.
- Mare Winningham as Jeannie Anderson, Ralph’s wife and a caseworker who befriends Glory and helps Ralph uncover the true scope of the case.
- Paddy Considine as Claude Bolton, an employee at the Peach Crease, a local bar and strip club.
- Yul Vazquez as Yunis Sablo, a GBI lieutenant who works on the case with Ralph and as a practicing catholic is more open to believing in paranormal events.
- Marc Menchaca as Jack Hoskins, a hard-nosed, alcoholic police detective and former veteran who pushes himself into the Maitland case.
- Cynthia Erivo as Holly Gibney, a private detective with savant-like memory and perceptive capabilities who is called in to consult on the Maitland investigation.
- Max Beesley as Seale Bolton, Claude’s brother, also an ex-convict who works as a construction worker in Tennessee.
- Derek Cecil as Andy Katcavage, a former police detective and now head of the mall security in Dayton, Ohio, who helps Holly investigate crimes similar to the Maitland case and later begins a relationship with her.
- Summer Fontana as Maya Maitland, Terry and Glory’s older daughter.
- Scarlett Blum as Jessa Maitland, Terry and Glory’s younger daughter who begins experiencing paranormal visions.
- Frank Deal as Fred Peterson, the father of the initial victim, Frankie Peterson.
- Dayna Beilenson as Mildred Patterson
- Hettienne Park as Tamika Collins, a detective in the police force and an old acquaintance of Jack Hoskins.
- Michael Esper as Kenneth Hayes, the local district attorney who wants speedy justice in the Maitland investigation to help his chances of reelection.
- Claire Bronson as Joy Peterson, Frankie Peterson’s mother.
- Michael H. Cole as Herbert Parker
- Marc Fajardo as Myron Lazar
- Margo Moorer as Libby Stanhope
- Duncan E. Clark as Frankie Peterson, a young boy found brutally murdered in the woods.
- Joshua Whichard as Ollie Peterson, Frankie’s older brother.
- Wes Watson as Derek Anderson, Ralph and Jeannie’s son who died of cancer.
- Diany Rodriguez as María Canales, a woman from Harlem falsely convicted of murdering a young boy in a case similar to Terry’s, who is now serving prison time on Rikers Island.
The Outsider Season 2 Plotline
Ralph and Holly’s confrontation with El Cuco in Bear Cave was the climax of the first season finale of The Outsider. They believed El Cuco was dead after Claude showed up there and shot him in retaliation for killing his brother. After being alerted by his dead son’s ghost, Ralph went back and smashed the monster’s head with a rock for making sure it was dead. However, it’s still unclear if the creature truly perished.
This appears to be the final scene, but there was an after-credits sequence that hinted Holly might have been infected by the monster. This potential, combined with El Cuco’s uncertain future, leaves The Outsider’s second season open. Given how important Holly was to the first season, it would be a shame to have the show end on a potentially dismal note like this.
The Outsider Season 2 Trailer
No official trailer has been released, but we’re still holding out hope for season 2.
The Outsider Season 1 Review
Adam, a family man, is at the center of the narrative. A mysterious woman shows up at his son’s football game and informs him that Corinne lied about being pregnant and had a miscarriage. She then urges him to get DNA tests on his sons and leaves. As secrets are revealed and Corinne disappears, the man is shaken to the core, and his search for the truth takes many twists and turns. In reality, though, things are far darker and more depressing than they appear at first.
Some readers may be dissatisfied because they were hoping for a more realistic story. There are a couple of plot twists that, although I won’t spoil them here, do need a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief. There are some parallels to be seen between The Stranger and Safe in this regard, but if you can get over that, you’ll be rewarded with an exciting plot that deftly navigates a variety of themes.
The Stranger is a great film to see if you’re in the mood for a murderous tale and a classic whodunit. The first episode sets the tone for the rest of the series, which speeds over eight episodes of unexpected turns in the greatest way possible. It’s not the most realistic thriller, and it probably won’t win any awards in the near future, but it’s still a good show that’s fun to watch.