Where is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a medical term for the intense pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve, caused by irritation or injury to one of its many tendons, muscles, nerves, or ganglion.
The word sciatica comes from the Greek language and means “pain in the bones” or “pain in the sitting bones”. Sciatica usually causes symptoms that affect not only the lower back but also the buttocks, thighs, and legs.
Only 10% of patients have sciatica along the entire length of their sciatic nerve.
The cause of this pain is typically a herniated disc that puts pressure on one or more spinal nerve roots, due to degenerative disc disease or another underlying structural issue.
A pathoanatomical classification is made according to the site of origin and destination of the pain, which are related to the anatomical course of the discomforting nerves:
• Radicular pain is felt in areas innervated by lumbar or sacral nerve roots. The affected areas are usually distant from where the pathological process started (e.g.: back, buttocks, foot). The main causes are compression fractures and radiculopathy caused by disc herniation, tumor, or abscess.
• A neurogenic pain is felt in the same area where the pathological process started (e.g.: front of thigh or calf above the ankle). It often occurs after lumbar disc lesions with nerve root impingement, due to arthritis at the facet joints causing foraminal stenosis and compression on the neuroforamen of the nearby roots.
How to cure sciatica permanently:
Sciatica is the condition in which the pain starts from the lower back and radiates down to the legs. This can be an extremely painful problem if not treated quickly. The pain might be so intense that it may prevent you from moving your leg easily while walking or even sitting. You need to know about sciatica symptoms, causes, treatment, diagnosis, exercises, etc.
How to cure sciatica permanently:
1) Symptoms of Sciatica.- The common symptoms are listed below:
– Pain in the lower back along with weakness in muscles & loss of sensation(pins and needles) down into legs.
– Numbness in the thigh area, buttocks area & below the knee area.
– Difficulty arising from bed, sitting, and lying down.
– Pain that shoots into the leg with movement or touch.
– Difficulty in passing stool and urine.
– Limited range of motion and clumsiness in hands and legs (especially feet).
Diet for sciatica:
Certain changes in diet can help to reduce pain. As per many studies, adequate intake of vitamin B5 is very useful for reducing Sciatica pain as it helps the body produce natural pain killer called “endorphins”.
Taking an anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen may also provide some relief from Sciatica symptoms. Intake of fatty fish like salmon, tuna, etc which is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids can lessen nerve inflammation and be helpful for quick recovery. Take food rich in calcium, vitamin B complex & C supplements.
Sciatica Treatment at Home:
– Many people are not aware of the fact that back pain can be caused by a pinched nerve in the lower back which is known as “sciatica”. So to get rid of this problem it is important to treat it on time instead of ignoring it. Here are some simple Sciatica exercises that need to be done daily for quick recovery:
(1) Sit up straight, keeping both your feet flat on the ground.
(2) Keep one leg stretched out and another bent with the foot resting on the knee.
(3) Slowly bend towards the side where your bent leg is while keeping the other leg stretched out on the ground.
(4) Hold the position for about 15-20 sec and repeat it with the other leg.
5) Sciatica Exercises:-
Perform these exercises daily on empty stomach to get rid of sciatica pain permanently:
– Bend your left leg towards you, while keeping your right leg straight. Place your fingers on the back of your left knee and gently pull both legs closer to you and hold this pose for some time. Repeat this process with the right leg.
– Lie down flat on your back touching the floor with both feet together. Keep hands next to hips and lift both feet towards the ceiling without bending knees. Stay in this position for a few seconds and slowly get into the previous position (by lying down).
– Lie down flat on your stomach while keeping both palms placed under your lower back. Try to keep your back in contact with the floor and lift your legs slowly off ground, tightening your abdominal muscles at the time of lifting. Remain in this position for about 10 seconds and get back into the previous position.
sciatica natural treatment:
Here are some simple natural remedies that will help you treat sciatica problems successfully at home:
– Mix 1/2 tsp ginger juice, half tsp lemon juice, little honey into a glass of buttermilk and drink it daily. It provides excellent relief in Sciatica pain.
– Prepare tea by boiling 10 black peppercorns & 5 cloves in water for a few minutes & straining the tea, add 2 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves to this mixture and consumes after every 2 hours. This remedy will help you treat Sciatica pain naturally.
– Grind about 50 grams of fresh coriander leaves, 2 tbsp. dried basil leaves and 10 peppercorns into a fine paste and take this mixture with lukewarm water to relieve sciatica pain.
sciatic nerve pain causes:
Here are some common causes of sciatica:
1) Sitting for long hours:
One of the main causes is sitting for long hours which can cause problems in your back. You can do exercise or yoga that will help you stretch your body freely which reduces pressure on the lower back.
2) Obesity & Aging:
As per research, obesity & age are some of the most important reasons behind most of the health problems including Sciatica. So people should always focus on a healthy diet & exercising.
One of the major reasons is smoking which damages your neural tissues and makes them weak. It also causes many health problems including Sciatica.
4) Lack of Exercising:
People who don’t exercise regularly are more prone to sciatica problems than others because their muscles are loose, joints are stiff, etc leading to pain in the lower back. So people should exercise at least 30 minutes daily at least a few days a week to get rid of this problem.
5) Wrong Posture:
The wrong posture can also lead to numbness, pain, or any other problem in the legs or lower back.
sciatic nerve pain relief during pregnancy:
People who suffer from Sciatica problems should consult their doctor first and then try these simple exercises to get rid of back pain. If you do wrong exercises on your own then it can cause harm to you so it’s better to take some expert guidance before trying these exercises at home on your own. People should listen to their body and go with the instructions given by their instructor, they should avoid doing sudden movements because it can make things worst if proper care is not taken while exercising.
Sciatica Treatment Tips:
Here are a few tips that will help you get rid of sciatica pain fast :
1) apply heat to affected areas. It’s the easiest way to treat sciatica pain. Heat application can reduce inflammation, relax tense muscles & relieve stiffness as well as soreness in the lower back, shoulders, etc. You can take a hot shower or place a heating pad over the area for a few minutes to get relief from Sciatica pain. Warm water therapy, steam bath is also very effective to treat Sciatica.
2) Practice yoga poses that help stretch lower back muscles. It will give you relief from this problem naturally & quickly. Also vary your sitting position by standing, walking, etc while working on the computer for a long time because it can reduce numbness in the legs and provide relief from pain easily.
3) Restrict the intake of alcohol, caffeine & smoking which increases risk factors for heart disease stroke, colon & breast cancer, etc. You should eat a diet rich in fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains; avoid red meat, soft drinks, etc.
These measures are very helpful to treat sciatica naturally at home without any side effects like pain killers or other drugs. If you are suffering from this problem then make sure to follow these tips & exercises regularly for the best results.