Korean dramas have recently swept the film and television industries; yet, the genre’s association with romantic stories has faded. The popularity of Korean television dramas like Stranger, Signal, K2, and Voice has demonstrated time and time again that the media can produce masterpieces even on the small screen, despite Korea’s long-standing status as home to some of the world’s finest cinema. One such Korean drama that has been extremely successful in recent years is The Uncanny Counter.
The Uncanny Counter is a South Korean TV show adapted from a webcomic by Jang Yin. The first season of the drama premiered from November 2020 to January 2021, and after 16 episodes, brought viewers to an emotional and beautiful conclusion to their three-month-long trip. Fans were excited to see what So Mun (Cho Byeong Kyu) and the other Counters would be up to after the show was revived for a second season. With that in consideration, let’s review what we know about season two of The Uncanny Counter.
The Uncanny Counter Season 2 Release Date
Season two of The Uncanny Counter, titled “Counter Punch,” premieres on Netflix on July 29, 2023. There will be a total of twelve episodes this season as opposed to the usual sixteen due to the show’s move from the Korean cable network OCN to tvN. Exciting new episodes will air every Saturday and Sunday for the next six weeks, with the series finale airing on September 3, 2023. Although the reduction to 12 episodes is disappointing, tvN’s signature 12-episode format and the 70-minute runtime of each episode will immerse viewers in the otherworldly realm of the Counters.
The Uncanny Counter Cast and characters
- Jo Byeong-kyu as So Mun; An 18-year-old high school student and the newest member of the Counters; part-time server at Eonni’s Noodles.
- Yoo Jun-sang as Ga Mo-tak; The assistant cook at Eonni’s Noodles.
- Kim Se-jeong as Do Ha-na; The server at Eonni’s Noodles. The sole survivor after she and her family were poisoned
- Yeom Hye-ran as Choo Mae-ok; The chef at Eonni’s Noodles. In the past, she ran a photography studio for a living. Now a grieving mother dealing with the death of her son Su-ho.
- Ahn Suk-hwan as Choi Jang-mul; The first and the leader of the Counters in Korea; owner of Jangmul Retail. Jang-mul is one of the richest chaebol in South Korea.
- Yoo In-soo as Na Jeok-bong; A clumsy new Counter who is unfamiliar with everything.
- Kang Ki-young as Pil Kwang; A third-level demon possessing powerful psychokinesis that can absorb the Counters’ abilities.
- Kim Hieora as Gelli Berherd; A third-level demon specializing in speed can scratches, stab, cut, and kills.
- Kim Hyun-wook as Wong Yeok; A bright psychopath with a creepy smile. After he kills a Chinese counter and gains healing powers, Wong returns to Korea and begins killing people more brutally and harshly.
- Jin Seon-kyu as Ma Joo-seok; A benefactor of So Mun and a hot-blooded firefighter who does not know how to ignore injustice.
The Uncanny Counter Season 2 Plot
With the Counters ready to widen their network across South Korea, the first season ended on a strong note, teasing exciting new experiences in the second. Throughout the first season, Mun changes and develops significantly. Walking without his cane was difficult at first, but he eventually developed into a formidable warrior who could protect those he cared about. Despite the fact that the Season 1 villain has the upper hand early on, Mun is able to triumph in the end thanks to his dogged perseverance. While So Mun’s development thus far has been outstanding, he will need to continue to mature as he meets ever more formidable foes in subsequent seasons.
So Mun’s ability to grow and change into a pivotal role in the fight against evil is something to look forward to in the upcoming second season. We can also expect So Mun and his teammates to become more invested in the fight against increasingly formidable and terrible demons, as well as introduce new Counters from around the world. With the groundwork laid in Season 1, future seasons promise even more thrilling otherworldly encounters and fascinating character development.
The Uncanny Counter Season 2 Trailer
Television Network released the first Season 2 teaser on June 26. The preview gives fans a taste of the explosive action that will be included in the next season. The cast members are also given a brief appearance in the teaser, where we witness a transformed and far stronger So Mun ready to take on fearsome opponents. Fans may expect to see the Counters pool their resources and knowledge in an effort to defeat the powerful demons. The revealed video suggests that The Uncanny Counter intends to continue its run as one of Netflix’s top foreign fantasy offerings.
Where to watch The Uncanny Counter Season 2?
Fans of The Uncanny Counter can’t wait for Season 2 to premiere, and there’s just one place to see it: on the streaming service. The highly anticipated series is only one of several shows that can be accessed by Netflix subscribers on their mobile devices.