Based on Eric Manheimer’s book Twelve Patients: Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital, New Amsterdam is a top-rated American medical drama on television. Peter Horton, David Schulner, Kate Dennis, David Foster, Michael Slovis, Shaun Cassidy, and Aaron Ginsburg are all responsible for the show’s executive producer. The program is a collaboration between Universal Television, Mount Moriah, and Pico Creek Productions.
New Amsterdam premiered on September 25, 2018, and the first season ran for 22 episodes, ending on May 14, 2019. Despite a 34% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a 5.83 out of 10 on IMDb, Season 1 of New Amsterdam was so well received by viewers that the producers ordered four more installments, which premiered on September 24, 2019, March 2, 2021, September 21, 2021, and September 20, 2022, accordingly. As a result, New Amsterdam devotees are eager to learn more about the upcoming sixth season. We know you’re eager to learn more about Season 6 of New Amsterdam, so here you go.
New Amsterdam Season 6 Renewal Status
New Amsterdam has apparently been canceled for a sixth season, as confirmed by both NBC and the show’s creators. The network has confirmed that the medical drama’s fifth season, which premiered on January 17, 2023, will be it’s last. Although this news will undoubtedly disappoint some of our most devoted followers, it is inevitable that all good things must eventually come to an end. In March 2022, with the fifth season set to broadcast in September of that year, the series’ cancellation was announced, giving the creators plenty of time to craft a satisfying conclusion.
Producer Peter Horton told Deadline, “It’s a mystery as to why it was canceled.” New Amsterdam was canceled for unknown reasons.
New Amsterdam Storyline
One of the oldest public hospitals in the United States, New Amsterdam Medical Center had fallen on hard times before Dr. Max Goodwin’s (Ryan Eggold) arrival as its new medical director. New Amsterdam stands out from other medical dramas by delving into topics seldom discussed by its protagonist, Dr. Goodwin, who is driven by the belief that all patients need excellent medical treatment despite the flawed public health system.
New Amsterdam Season Cast and characters
- Ryan Eggold as Dr. Maximus “Max” Goodwin, the medical director at New Amsterdam Medical Center
- Freema Agyeman as Dr. Helen Sharpe, Head of the Oncology Department
- Janet Montgomery as Dr. Lauren Bloom, Head of the Emergency Department
- Jocko Sims as Dr. Floyd Reynolds, Head of Cardiothoracic Surgery Division
- Tyler Labine as Dr. Ignatius “Iggy” Frome, psychiatrist and Head of the Psychiatry Department
- Anupam Kher as Dr. Vijay Kapoor, former Head of the Neurology Department
- Sandra Mae Frank as Dr. Elizabeth Wilder, a deaf surgeon and the newest Chief of Oncology
- Alejandro Hernandez as Casey Acosta, the ED Head Nurse
- Debra Monk as Karen Brantley, the Chairwoman of the Board of Directors
- Megan Byrne as Gladys Miller, Dr. Frome’s secretary
- Christine Chang as Dr. Agnes Kao, Head of Neurology who replaced Dr. Vijay Kapoor
- Em Grosland as Kai Brunstetter, an ED nurse
- Shiva Kalaiselvan as Dr. Leyla Shinwari
- Matthew Jeffers as Dr. Mark Walsh, an ED Senior Resident
- Olivia Khoshatefeh as Dr. Yasmin Turan
- Dierdre Friel as Ella
- Stacey Raymond as Kerry Whitaker, a paramedic
- Gemma McIlhenny as Maintenance Crew Janice
- JJ Feild as Dr. Zach Ligon, a physical therapist
- Sendhil Ramamurthy as Dr. Akash Panthaki
- Ron Rifkin as Dr. Peter Fulton, former dean of the hospital
- Daniel Dae Kim as Dr. Cassian Shin, a trauma surgeon
- Vandit Bhatt as Rohan, Dr. Kapoor’s son
- Alison Luff as Alice Healy
- Michelle Federer as Millie Tamb
- Gina Gershon as Jeanie Bloom
New Amsterdam Season 6 Plot
From the perspective of the program’s creators, there is no sixth season, and a glance into the book from which the show was adapted reveals that all of the material has already been covered. Thus, a fresh writer and all the others are required to contribute anything to the plot.
Why was New Amsterdam Season 6 canceled?
Season 6 of New Amsterdam was canceled due to low ratings, therefore season 5 will be the series finale when it debuts on Netflix at an unannounced date. The pilot episode of New Amsterdam attracted over 14 million viewers (including those who watched it through DVR recordings) and received a rating of 1.8 on its first airing on NBC on Tuesday nights at 10 o’clock e.t. The 1.8 decreased to 0.9 at the conclusion of New Amsterdam’s first season. The ratings and number of viewers for New Amsterdam on the network declined steadily from season one through season five.
The New Amsterdam season finale attracted just 5.2 million viewers, down significantly from the 14 million who saw the premiere. As a result, the show’s rating dropped to a dismal 0.3. Compared to shows like Grey’s Anatomy (which has three spinoffs in the works) or The Resident (which has maintained a consistent 1.0 rating over its six seasons despite time slot changes), the program just couldn’t cut it.
Where can I watch New Amsterdam Seasons?
Earlier episodes of New Amsterdam may be seen on NBC right now. It is also likely that the sixth season of New Amsterdam will arrive on the same streaming service.
New Amsterdam Season 5 Rating
Ratings are the standard by which each program is evaluated. The popularity of a program among viewers is usually the strongest predictor of how long it will remain on the broadcast. If you have good ratings, you have a greater chance of making it. The program has received a high 8/10 rating on IMDb and a 68% average audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Is New Amsterdam worth watching?
The viewers evaluate the show based on the reviews and ratings it has gotten before deciding whether or not to watch it. The ratings and reviews on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes for New Amsterdam are really good, so if you’re interested in viewing it, you shouldn’t wait any longer to get started.