The Futurama revival updates have built up an unbelievable amount of expectation for the coming back of the Planet Express and her crew, and Hulu has announced that they will be reviving the show for an eighth season consisting of 20 all-new episodes. Ten years after the highly praised Futurama series finale on Comedy Central, the reboot—officially season 8—will be released. Futurama, which debuted on Fox and has since appeared on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, and 20th Century Fox, is no stranger to being picked up by a new network. Hulu, ten years after Futurama’s cancellation, is the latest network to show the critically acclaimed animated comedy-drama.
Futurama Reboot Release Date
On July 24, 2023, Hulu will premiere the new season of Futurama. Hulu ordered 20 brand new episodes of the animated series, with 10 episodes debuting each week for the revival’s first season.
Hulu said, “New viewers will be able to pick up the series from here, while long-time fans will recognize payoffs to decades-long mysteries, including developments in the epic love story of Fry and Leela, the mysterious contents of Nibbler’s litter box, the secret history of evil Robot Santa, and the whereabouts of Kif and Amy’s tadpoles.”
The Original Futurama Series
The experiences of Fry, a pizza delivery boy who was cryogenically frozen in the 1990s and awakened in the 31st century, where he meets zany characters, robots, aliens, and cutting-edge technology, are chronicled in Matt Groening’s animated series Futurama. The show has received acclaim for its biting satire, creative storytelling, and insightful social commentary.
Fans of both science fiction and comedy were won over by the original Futurama series. During its original run, it was praised by critics and developed a devoted fan following of viewers. The show’s ongoing success can be attributed in part to its sharp writing, fascinating characters, and sophisticated world-building.
Futurama Cast and characters
- Philip J. Fry (voiced by Billy West) – Fry is an immature, slovenly, yet good-hearted and sensitive pizza delivery boy who falls into a cryogenic pod, causing it to activate and freeze him just after midnight on January 1, 2000.
- Turanga Leela (voiced by Katey Sagal) – Leela is the competent, one-eyed captain of the Planet Express Ship.
- Bender Bending Rodriguez (voiced by John DiMaggio) – Bender is a foul-mouthed, heavy-drinking, cigar-smoking, kleptomaniacal, misanthropic, egocentric, ill-tempered robot manufactured by Mom’s Friendly Robot Company.
- Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth (voiced by Billy West) – Professor Farnsworth, also known simply as “the Professor”, is Fry’s distant nephew, and technically descendant.
- Hermes Conrad (voiced by Phil LaMarr) – Hermes is the Jamaican accountant of Planet Express. A 36th-level bureaucrat (demoted to level 37 during the series) and proud of it, he is a stickler for regulation and enamored of the tedium of paperwork and bureaucracy.
- Dr. John A. Zoidberg (voiced by Billy West) – Zoidberg is a Decapodian, a lobster-like alien from the planet Decapod 10, and the neurotic staff physician of Planet Express.
- Amy Wong (voiced by Lauren Tom) – Amy is an incredibly rich, blunt, ditzy, and accident-prone yet sweet-hearted long-term intern at Planet Express. She is an astrophysics student at Mars University and an heiress to the western hemisphere of Mars.
Futurama Reboot Plotline
All we know about the show at this point is what Hulu has informed us, and that it involves a “new pandemic in town” and investigates concepts like cryptocurrency, cancel culture, and streaming TV, all within the context of a story that takes place a thousand years in the future. Fans can also expect additional callbacks to earlier storylines and advancements in the ongoing “will they or won’t they” relationship between Fry and Leela. What will happen in the upcoming season is currently unknown.
Futurama Reboot Production Details
Fans may rest certain that the revival will be faithful to the spirit of the original program thanks to the participation of creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen. Although slight changes may be made to the animation technique to accommodate modern technology and visual sensibilities, it is expected to keep its distinctive look.
Futurama Reboot Trailer
On June 27, 2023, the first teaser trailer for the new Futurama series was released.
Futurama Reboot Episodes
Some fans may be surprised to learn some episode titles so soon before the premiere of a new series. Intriguingly, this also hints at the series’ structure and potential themes. Titles of known episodes are as follows:
- The Impossible Stream
- Rage Against The Vaccine
- Zapp Gets Cancelled
- The Prince And The Product
- Related To Items You’ve Viewed
- Children Of A Lesser Bog
- How The West Was 1010001
- I Know What You Did Last Christmas
- Parasites Regained
- All The Way Down
Where to watch Futurama Reboot?
You may watch Futurama online now on Disney Plus, but the brand-new episodes will be available on Hulu. Hulu is where American viewers can watch the Futurama revival. Hulu is only accessible in the United States, so if you’re watching from outside the country, Disney Plus is where you’ll find the new Futurama season.