Ilana Pea’s ‘Diary of a Future President’ follows Elena, a Cuban-American middle school student who, in flashforwards, is shown to have become the president of the United States. Through her childhood notebook, the comedy series delves into her lifelong ambition to become president and her everyday experiences. On January 17, 2020, the series debuted for the first time.
The diverse cast, engaging story, and human characters in this coming-of-age drama have won widespread acclaim. The show’s success can be attributed in large part to the authenticity with which it depicts a Latino family. Many young people, it seems, have been inspired by Elena’s inspiring story of following her heart and succeeding at what she sets out to do. Considering this, it’s easy to see why the show’s devoted following is eager for a new season. If you’re looking for news on a possible third season, you’ve found it!
Diary of a Future President Season 3 Renewal Status
While the first two seasons of Diary of a Future President on Disney+ were quite successful, the show’s creator Ilana Pea said in December that the show would not be renewed for a third season. On Twitter, she made an official announcement: “We learned that #DiaryOfAFuturePresident is not moving forward with a Season 3 at Disney+.” Even though we hope to continue telling this narrative in the future, I am really appreciative of the two seasons we were able to film.
Diary of a Future President Season 3 Release Date
This drama’s first season premiered on Netflix on January 17, 2020. It was first released in English and had its international premiere on Disney+. The first season’s ten episodes dropped weekly. Shortly after the May 2020 announcement, the show was renewed for a second season. Fans all throughout the world were thrilled to hear this. The producers didn’t keep the audience waiting too long to see what happened next.
On August 18, 2021, the second season of Diary of a Future President will premiere. This season’s episodes were all released simultaneously, unlike the last. They had been anticipating this season with great anticipation, so this came as yet another pleasant surprise.
Unfortunately for fans of “The Diary of the Future President,” Disney+ has decided to abandon their offer. Ilana Pea, the show’s creator and executive producer, made the announcement on Twitter today. The show ran for two seasons. She continues by expressing her gratitude to the show’s actors, crew, and viewers, praising the latter group for their perseverance in the face of the continued challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. She concludes her explanation by saying she made the program for her “younger self” and is pleased if she has “made her proud.”
Diary of a Future President Storyline
Elena, a Cuban-American girl 13 years old, is a middle school student navigating the emotional and social challenges of puberty. The series follows Elena as she goes about her daily life and interacts with those in her social circle, all as recorded in her journal. She stays with her mother Gabi, her older brother Bobby, and Sam, a lawyer in her mother’s office. Elena’s ambition to lead the United States is made clear through frequent flashbacks to her time in office.
Diary of a Future President Season 3 Cast
- Tess Romero as Elena Cañero-Reed, a confident and strong-willed 13-year-old Cuban American girl with a desire to become a future president of the United States
- Gina Rodriguez as Future Elena Cañero-Reed, who is shown through flashforwards to be the future President of the United States.
- Selenis Leyva as Gabriela “Gabi” Cañero-Reed, Elena’s widowed mother who works as a lawyer.
- Charlie Bushnell as Roberto “Bobby” Cañero-Reed, Elena’s rage-inducing older brother
- Michael Weaver as Sam Faber, a lawyer at Gabi’s firm who she develops a new relationship with.
- Carmina Garay as Sasha, Elena’s best friend
- Sanai Victoria as Melissa, Elena and Sasha’s former rival who “stole” their best friend, Jessica
- Jessica Marie Garcia as Camila, a paralegal and Gabi’s close friend
- Harmeet Pandey as Jessica, Elena’s former best friend who is now friends with Melissa.
- Avantika Vandanapu as Monyca with a ‘Y’, Bobby’s ex-girlfriend.
- Brandon Severs as Liam, Bobby’s teammate and friend for whom Bobby has feelings
- Nathan Arenas as Danny, a teammate and a friend of Bobby and Liam
- Gregg Binkley as Dr. Cooper, the school’s Vice Principal
- Ellie Reed as Danielle, Camila’s fiancé
- Tony Espinosa as Emilio, a transfer student who runs for student rep alongside Elena
- Donovin Miller as CJ, a high school junior with whom Bobby becomes romantically involved
- Rachel Bloom as Ms. Wexler, an English teacher who catches Elena and Sasha shopping in an intimate store.
- Melissa Fumero as Ms. Ortega, a drama teacher who produces a musical about Miami and casts Sasha as the lead
- Michael Hitchcock as Thomas, a man who gets rear-ended when Gabi teaches Bobby how to drive.
Diary of a Future President Season 3 Plot
Season 2 picks up with Elena in seventh grade, where the first season left off. The diary entries give us insight into her life as a teen. Elena joins the cast of the school play so she gets to spend more time with Sasha. While working together, the two buddies learn valuable lessons. In one episode, Elena takes on a rebellious online character and begins to believe her own hype. In another segment, with Gabi away, Elena and her brother host a party. The episode centers on Elena’s reaction to finding out that almost all of her peers have already had their first kiss.
In the event of a third season, we can expect to discover more about Elena’s development as a student during the course of her academic career. In season 2, her brother Bobby comes out as gay, so it will be fascinating to see how far he gets on his path to acceptance. In the event that the show is revived, Elena may be entering the eighth grade.