A Dietitian’s Review of the SlimFast Diet: Does It Work for Weight Loss?
I once dated a guy who tried the SlimFast diet, but I was not impressed with the results. He gained weight! The next day, I decided to put together this review of what’s inside their drinks and puddings so readers can make up their minds about it.
The SlimFast Plan is pretty simple: you eat one low-calorie meal a day and then replace two more meals with these shakes or packaged foods that contain very little fat and sugar.
They will also send you a package of things to add to your meals for variety, such as cereal bars, oatmeal cookies, powdered milk, and fruit juice. However, to attain your weight loss goals while following the SlimFast plan, you will have to be very strict with your eating habits.
– Protein Blend (Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate [a milk derivative], Whey Protein Concentrate)…filler ingredient. You can get the same protein from 10 egg whites for around $1.00 and no trans fat.
– Maltodextrin…filler/carrier ingredient in most low carb meal replacement products – Fibersol-2™(a proprietary fiber source)…another filler that is common in many low carb diet products and can cause gas and bloating when used in excess amounts…not a healthy fiber either; its primary use is as a thickening agent.
Sugar…a sweetener, not a healthy ingredient, unless it comes from fruit or vegetables. – Canola Oil…fatty acid source common in processed foods and even used for frying in some fast-food restaurants due to its high smoke point, which causes minor damage to the oil during cooking.
Processed oils are harmful to your health since they oxidize quickly at room temperature or when heated above their smoke point, causing cell damage that promotes inflammation throughout your body.
– Soy Protein Isolate…a highly processed protein source that provides no nutritional benefit, especially for men who need muscle-building proteins such as whey and casein. Women will also get too much of this ingredient since one SlimFast packet already contains as much protein as 3 ounces serving of chicken. Excessive protein intake is harmful to your liver and kidneys.
– Palm Oil…derived from the palm kernel and used in products with little nutritional value, such as frozen pizzas, pie crusts, margarine, and shortenings. It has been linked to heart disease and cancer. It raises LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol levels while lowering HDL (high-density lipoprotein), which puts you at risk for cardiovascular problems.
– Cocoa Powder…processed ingredient derived from cocoa beans which contain high amounts of antioxidants. Antioxidants are natural compounds that fight free radicals in our body, so cocoa powder is considered a healthy ingredient until it’s processed or taken in large amounts.
Slim fast reviews before and after:
Slim-Fast is a new dietary food that has been introduced in the market, and it claims to help you lose weight faster than any other product. But, losing weight too fast may sometimes cause health-related problems such as dizziness, low energy levels, irregular bowel movements, etc. These products also claim many things. Still, most of them do not work at all, even if they seem to be effective initially. Slim Fast Reviews – Some of the best small, fast reviews can be found in this website section.
Here are some quick slim down tips:
As we have seen earlier, rapid weight loss might lead to several health-related problems, so it’s better to avoid diets that promise quick results… To reduce your weight healthily, follow the tips below:
– A low-fat diet is suggested in all the weight reduction programs. Ensure that you keep a tab on your intake of fats as they are known to cause immense damage to the body tissues.
Also, try to have food rich in proteins because it helps increase metabolism, thus increasing the rate at which fat gets burnt. When choosing between carbohydrates, opt for those containing complex carbohydrates as they are digested slowly, thus maintaining your energy levels throughout the day without making you feel tired and lethargic.
– Do not eat snacks just before going to bed. It is better to have dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed to have enough time for digestion before you go off to sleep. Staying hungry overnight or becoming too hungry can prove fatal because, in an attempt to feel less hungry, you may end up eating lots of fatty stuff. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is very important when it comes to losing weight.
Losing weight too fast may cause health problems:
Slim Fast Reviews – Some of the best small, fast reviews can be found in this website section. Who doesn’t want to lose weight! But gaining weight is also equally bad for your health, so try and maintain a balance between both. Before opting for any product or technique, do proper research on them and discuss with your doctor whether they are suitable for your overall health or not…
Slim fast products might seem like a great idea, but before using them, always remember that they may not be suitable for your overall health and should only be used after you have learned about their negative and positive effects.