Peter David, Todd Dezago, and Todd Nauck created Young Justice as a comic book series. DC Universe, a series that focuses on young adults, merely borrowed the show’s moniker, but the show’s creators came up with the concept themselves. Brandon Vietti and Greg Weisman created the show for Cartoon Network.
Young Justice debuted on Teletoon in Canada on September 9, 2011. After the premiere of Season 2: Invasion in early 2013, the show was abruptly terminated. Season 3 of Young Justice, dubbed Outsiders, began on DC Universe on January 4, 2019, after being confirmed by Warner Bros. Animation in November 2016. Season 4 of Phantoms debuted on HBO Max on October 16, 2021, and it ran through June 9, 2022.
Young Justice Season 5 Renewal Status
The ratings for Young Justice on Cartoon Network were over the roof. After two seasons, the performance curve suddenly dropped. However, there was a significant time lapse of seven years between the show’s penultimate and second seasons. It seems that several viewers considered canceling the show. In 2016, Weisman provided further context by presenting a formal cancellation.
As the toy agreement with Mettel diminished, less money was available for the performance. They couldn’t create any more chapters since they didn’t have enough money. The show’s loyal following never stopped begging for more episodes. Greg also said that a third season is a distinct possibility. He said that the current climate required Warner Bros. to follow suit.
Several HBO Max series were on the chopping block when Warner Bros. Discovery rode in to cancel them. Many viewers were devastated by the studio’s decision to discontinue ‘Batgirl.’ Already $90 million had been invested in its creation. Furthermore, Young Justice was spared during the first onslaught. Unfortunately, the series was struck badly by the second wave. Season 5 was canceled, much to the dismay of the audience. Audiences were probably hoping for some kind of update, but probably not like this. Warner Bros. TV and HBO Max both declined to comment.
Young Justice Overview
Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti produced the American animated television series Young Justice for Cartoon Network. Teenage members of the Justice League’s clandestine operations division (called simply “The Team”) are the focus of this animated series. Initially airing on Cartoon Network’s DC Nation block, the program moved to Adult Swim’s Toonami block for seasons three and four, beginning in January 2019.
The series premiere aired on November 26, 2010, and consisted of two parts. In a November 7th, 2011 announcement, a third season was greenlit. New episodes will premiere weekly on Warner Bros.’ DC Comics website and app, with DVD and Blu-ray releases to follow later in the year, it was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con 2013. On February 13, 2019, a fourth season was ordered, with a 2020 launch date set.
The program has received mostly excellent reviews from critics, who have praised its animation, voice acting, characters, and themes. Three Annie Awards and two Harvey Awards are among the many honors it has received.
Young Justice Cast and characters
- Dick Grayson (Jesse McCartney) is Robin, the protege of Batman and a young genius who uses high-tech gadgets and security hacking. During the time skip between seasons one and two, he outgrows the Robin identity to become Nightwing.
- Kaldur’ahm (Khary Payton) is Aqualad, an original character and the protege of Aquaman from Atlantis, who can breathe underwater and use hydrokinesis, the ability to increase the local specific density of water and then manipulate its shape. He is the leader of the Team, who is a natural due to his calm and level-headed demeanour.
- Wally West (Jason Spisak) is Kid Flash, the protege of The Flash. He is capable of running at hypersonic speed. He was the Team’s resident flirtatious jokester, always quick with a joke or comeback, but gradually grows more mature and later begins a romantic relationship with Artemis.
- Superboy (Nolan North) is a kryptonian-human hybrid who is a genomorph clone of Superman, and shares several of his abilities.
- M’gann M’orzz or Megan Morse (Danica McKellar) is Miss Martian, the niece of Martian Manhunter. Like her uncle, she possesses telekinetic, empathic and telepathic abilities as well as flight and shape-shifting.
- Artemis Crock (Stephanie Lemelin) is the protegee of Green Arrow, although she initially pretends to be his niece to the Team to hide the truth of her criminal family background.
Young Justice Season 5 Plot
The climactic moments of Young Justice season 4 hint at a space clash for the upcoming fifth season. All of the Kryptonians who had been captured in the Phantom Zone were imprisoned by Vandal Savage at his Warworld fortress, with the exception of one prisoner who was sent to Darkseid. After the midseason conclusion of Young Justice season 4, a post-credits sequence showed that the prisoner was really Superman’s cousin Kara Zor-El and also revealed what happened to Mary Marvel.
In preparation for an invasion of Earth, Granny Goodness enlisted both girls, then teenagers, into her elite Furies squad. The new Emerald Empress, Ursa Zod, is still at large after she and her unborn son escaped to the planet Daxam.
Young Justice Season 5 Release Date
HBO Max may have revived the program in 2022 if the cancellation didn’t hit. Season 5 of a show that has a history of staggered releases is not expected until at least 2023. If it were split into two pieces, it may have lasted until 2024. Some of the publications even claimed that preliminary preparations were complete. It indicates categorically that the studio has already approved the screenplays. So, if everything had worked out as expected, we may have been talking about “young justice” again in 2023 or 2024.
Why is Young Justice Season 5 canceled?
This is the second fatal situation the series has had to deal with since 2013. Inadequate financing was initially to blame. And this time, the supporters don’t have a valid excuse. Before Warner Bros. TV bought up Young Justice, the show was doing nicely. Nonetheless, the third season was profitable enough to launch a fourth. In addition, in August of 2017, it was said that Young Justice: Phantoms was the sole show that HBO Max will be airing. As a result, it seems to have been a clue to the cancellation. Warner Bros. Discovery has shed some light on the matter by announcing that they have scrapped the project.
Where can I watch Young Justice?
HBO Max currently provides access to prior seasons.