In the United States, you can catch ‘Top of the Lake’ on the Sundance Channel, while in the United Kingdom, you can watch it on BBC Two, and in Australia and New Zealand, you can watch it on BBC UKTV. The drama, which was created and written by Oscar winners Jane Campion and Gerard Lee, centers on a detective who investigates the vanishings and deaths of young girls. This is Campion’s first television project since the 1990 film “An Angel at My Table,” which she also directed.
Season 1 of the long-running series Top of the Lake debuted on March 18, 2013, and it consists of seven episodes. Television critics overwhelmingly gave it high marks, praising its unsettling tone and the strong performances of its cast. The second season, dubbed “Top of the Lake: China Girl,” premiered after a four-year break. The second season launched on July 27, 2017, to widespread critical and audience acclaim. Since then, viewers have pondered whether the highly regarded series would come back for a third season, and here’s what we know so far.
Top of the Lake Season 3 Renewal Status
Top of the Lake’s second season premiered in 2017 after a hiatus of four years. We ought to have had the fourth season by now, given that March 2021 marks the end of the third. But unfortunately, that’s not how it works. We’re not thrilled, and we anticipate that a lot of you share our displeasure. We hope the show comes back for a third season, but we can’t wait another year between installments. There currently is no confirmation of a renewal or even a third season for the show. No information on a potential third season of Top of the Lake has been released as of yet.
To put it briefly, the answer is “no,” which is not shocking. After four years since the broadcast of the second season, SundanceTV has decided not to pick up the show for a third season.
It’s concerning that the show’s creators appear to be considering ending production. But they insist on having more. It’s also likely that the ongoing COVID pandemic prevented the showrunners from moving further with season three. That could be a contributing factor. As a result, there is no immediate need to shelve plans for Season 3 of the show.
It’s true that the show hasn’t been axed, which is great news for viewers. Despite the lack of continuity between seasons, the show was obviously successful enough to warrant a comeback.
Top of the Lake Season 3 Release Date
On July 27, 2017, the highly anticipated second season premiered. No official statement regarding the future of “Top of the Lake” has been made despite the fact that two years have passed since Season 2 aired. Despite the discouraging tone, we must recall that four years passed between Seasons 1 and 2, thus there is still time for the show to be revived for Season 3. Top of the Lake Season 3 might premiere in 2023 if the show is renewed, according to our best estimates. We are monitoring the situation and are going to update this article as soon as we have credible information about the show’s future.
Top of the Lake Season 3 Plot
Predicting the cast for Season 3 in light of the first two seasons is challenging. The stories in the first two seasons were very distinct from one another. The protagonists and other characters also varied greatly from one story to the next. So yet, the sitcom has only aired one season with this cast. However, Elizabeth Moss is virtually set to play Detective Robin Griffin. The actress has maintained a steady performance across both seasons, leading to high hopes for her return. If you’re not Moss, you’re going to get replaced.
The plot of the show is likewise difficult to guess. The reason is, the show’s first two seasons told vastly different stories. With every year holding its own mystery, it’s difficult to guess what Season 3 will bring.
Top of the Lake Cast and characters
- David Wenham plays Al Parker, an old-school and well-liked detective sergeant based in Queenstown who also manages a café where young offenders are given a second chance.
- Peter Mullan plays Matt Mitcham, a Scotsman and head of the Mitcham family. He is the informal leader of the town, feared by the townspeople, but with a complex inner life.
- Tom Wright as Johnno Mitcham, Matt’s estranged youngest son, and Robin’s teenage sweetheart He recently returned to Laketop after serving eight years in Bangkwang, a Thai prison, for drug possession.
- Holly Hunter plays GJ, an androgynous Swiss spiritual leader, arriving at Paradise with a group of troubled women who hope GJ and Laketop will help them rediscover themselves.
- Kip Chapman and Jay Ryan play Luke and Mark Mitcham, Matt’s brute sons.
- Jacqueline Joe plays Tui Angel Mitcham, Matt’s 12-year-old daughter, who disappears after it is discovered that she is five months pregnant.
- Robyn Nevin plays Jude Griffin, Robin’s mother, who is suffering from cancer.
- Calvin Tuteao plays Turangi, Jude’s Mori boyfriend, who has a violent temper.
Where to watch Top of the Lake?
What are you anticipating if you haven’t watched the show yet? Netflix subscribers can watch the show right now.
Top of the Lake Trailer
While we wait for Season 3 of “Top of the Lake” to be confirmed, you may catch a preview of the mystery that Robin must solve in Sydney in the Season 2 trailer.