Outlander is a historical drama created by Ronald D. Moore and based on the books by Diana Gabaldon of the same name. Along with Jim Kohlberg, Andy Harries, Maril Davis, Ira Steven Behr, Toni Graphia, Anne Kenney, Matthew B. Roberts, and Marigo Kehoe, Moore serves as executive producer.
The series debuted on August 9, 2014, and will run for another five seasons, until 2022. It was well-received by critics and has an 89% approval rating on the review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes. The eighth season of the show will premiere soon. When can we expect to see Season 8? What happens? Who would be willing to play their parts again? Keep reading for more information.
Outlander Season 8 Renewal Status
Starz announced in January 2023 that Outlander has been renewed for an eighth season and that it would be the last season. Season 8 will have Ronald D. Moore, Matthew B. Roberts, and Maril Davis as executive producers to assist give the show’s cherished characters a proper sendoff over the course of 10 episodes. Season 8 will most likely include writer Diana Gabaldon involved in some capacity as a consultant, as she has for every previous season.
Outlander Season 8 Release Date
Balfe admitted that a date had been set to begin production, but that the strike by the Writers Guild of America had put the project on hold. Season 8 has not yet begun filming, but fans shouldn’t hold their breath for the last season to arrive any time soon. Part 2 of Season 7 is not scheduled for release until 2024. Season 8 is expected to premiere around 2025 or 2026, given the current state of affairs.
Outlander Cast and characters
- Caitríona Balfe as Claire Fraser
- Sam Heughan as James “Jamie” Fraser
- Tobias Menzies as Frank Randall
- Graham McTavish as Dougal MacKenzie
- Duncan Lacroix as Murtagh Fitzgibbons Fraser
- Grant O’Rourke as Rupert MacKenzie
- Stephen Walters as Angus Mhor
- Gary Lewis as Colum MacKenzie
- Lotte Verbeek as Geillis Duncan a.k.a. Gillian Edgars
- Bill Paterson as Edward “Ned” Gowan
- Simon Callow as Clarence Marylebone, Duke of Sandringham
- Laura Donnelly as Janet “Jenny” Fraser Murray
- Douglas Henshall as Taran MacQuarrie
- Steven Cree as Ian Murray
- Stanley Weber as Le Comte St. Germain
- Andrew Gower as Prince Charles Edward Stuart
- Rosie Day as Mary Hawkins
- Dominique Pinon as Master Raymond
- Frances de la Tour as Mother Hildegarde
- Nell Hudson as Laoghaire MacKenzie
- Clive Russell as Simon Fraser, Lord Lovat
- Richard Rankin as Roger MacKenzie
- Sophie Skelton as Brianna “Bree” Fraser MacKenzie
- David Berry as Lord John Grey
- John Bell as Ian Fraser Murray
- César Domboy as Fergus Claudel Fraser
- Lauren Lyle as Marsali MacKimmie Fraser
- Richard Dillane as Captain Raines
- Edward Speleers as Stephen Bonnet
- Maria Doyle Kennedy as Jocasta MacKenzie Cameron
- Colin McFarlane as Ulysses
- Natalie Simpson as Phaedre
- Tantoo Cardinal as Adawehi
- Caitlin O’Ryan as Lizzie Wemyss
- Braeden Clarke as Kaheroton
- Gregory Dominic Odjig as Satehoronies
- Billy Boyd as Gerald Forbes
- Carmen Moore as Wahkatiiosta
- Tom Jackson as Tehwahsehwkwe
- Yan Tual as Father Alexandre Ferigault
- Sera-Lys McArthur as Johiehon
- Chris Larkin as Richard Brown
- Ned Dennehy as Lionel Brown
- Mark Lewis Jones as Tom Christie
- Glen Gould as Chief Bird
- Simon R. Baker as Still Water
- Gail Maurice as Tsotehweh
Outlander Season 8 Plotline
Few specifics of Outlander’s eighth and final season have been announced, although Gabaldon has told fans (via TV Guide) that the show will mostly adopt her ninth book, Go Tell the Bees That I’m Gone. In that book, the American Revolutionary War poses a new challenge to Jamie and Claire’s romance and family unity.
Go Tell The Bees I’m Gone focuses deeper into Brianna, Roger, and their family’s worries and fears after the wicked Rob Cameron (who is also a prominent figure in Outlander season 7) caused mayhem in the 20th century. Outlander season 8’s main narrative will probably center on these important plot themes from the novel, depending on how many artistic liberties the writers take and the extent of the book they cover in season 7.
Outlander Season 8 Trailer
No Season 8 of Outlander promotional trailer has been made available yet. Check out the Season 7 trailer down below to tide you over till its release!
Where can I watch Outlander Season?
Outlander’s previous seasons are available in their entirety on STARZ and the STARZ app, with new episodes likely released on Friday nights. Additionally, depending on your location and the subscription plan you select, you can watch the prior seasons right now on Amazon, the STARZ app, Netflix, and Hulu. Sony Pictures Television is in charge of the show’s global distribution.
Why is Outlander Ending With Season 8?
While the exact reasoning behind Starz and the Outlander team’s decision to cancel the show after Season 8 remains unknown, Maril Davis has hinted that it has to do with the certainty that Diana Gabaldon is now writing Book 10 and the show is soon to catch up to the books. The cast and crew would have to wait for years for the completion of subsequent novels, and it appears that some of them are eager to pursue other creative chances in the meanwhile.