The original version of One Day at a Time aired on television in 1975. Gloria Calderon Kellett and Mike Royce created the American sitcom One Day at a Time. In 1975, Whitney Blake and Allan Mannings came up with the concept of “One Day at a Time.” The series follows a Cuban-American family residing in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Echo Park, including a single mother with PTSD, her children, and her mother in Cuba. The original CBS sitcom is reimagined to focus on the experiences of Latinx people in the United States and tackle topics such as mental health, immigration, misogyny, homophobia, and gender identity/expression.
When Pop stated on June 27 that it wanted to bring back One Day at a Time, it became the first Netflix original series to be brought back by a traditional linear network. The first episode of Netflix’s One Day at a Time aired on June 6, 2017, and subsequent episodes debuted on January 26, 2018, and February 8, 2019, respectively. Since TV Land’s ratings were almost five times better than Pop’s in March 2020, the two networks began airing the new season simultaneously. The new season started on POP on March 24, 2020, with simultaneous broadcasts on TV Land and Logo TV. The COVID-19 pandemic halted production in Season 4.
One Day At A Time Season 5 Renewal Status
Despite attempts to find One Day At A Time a new network after Pop’s decision, the show was officially canceled in December 2020. One Day at a Time could perhaps have a resurgence or special ending in the future, however, at this time it seems unlikely that this would happen.
One Day At A Time Season Cast and characters
- Justina Machado as Penélope Francisca del Carmen Riera Inclán Ruiz Maribona de Alvarez, a United States Army Nurse Corps veteran and mother of Alex and Elena.
- Todd Grinnell as Pat Schneider, the rich landlord of the building. He is a close friend of the family and Penelope’s best friend.
- Isabella Gomez as Elena Maria Alvarez Riera Calderón Leyte-Vidal Inclán, the activist and feminist teenage daughter of Penelope.
- Marcel Ruiz as Alejandro “Alex” Alberto Alvarez Riera Calderon Leyte-Vidal Inclán, the son of Penelope.
- Stephen Tobolowsky as Dr. Leslie Berkowitz, Penelope’s lonely boss and Lydia’s possible love interest who is extorted financially by his ex-wife and daughters
- Rita Moreno as Lydia Margarita del Carmen Inclán Maribona Leyte-Vidal de Riera, a faithful Cuban, Penelope’s mother and grandmother of Elena and Alex.
- Fiona Gubelmann as Lori, Penelope’s co-worker
- Ariela Barer as Carmen, Elena’s best friend.
- Froy Gutierrez as Josh Flores, Elena’s friend and escort to her quinceañera
- Eric Nenninger as Scott, Penelope’s co-worker
- Haneefah Wood as Jill Riley, Penelope’s friend
- Mackenzie Phillips as Pam Valentine, the leader of Penelope’s female veteran therapy group.
- Judy Reyes as Ramona, Penelope’s friend from the veteran therapy group. She is a lesbian.
- Tony Plana as Berto Riera, Lydia’s late husband
- Jolie Jenkins as Nikki, Schneider’s former love interest and one of the mothers at St. Bibiana Academy
- James Martínez as Victor Alvarez, Penelope’s ex-husband who for a time had a strained relationship with his daughter Elena
- Ed Quinn as Max Ferraro, a military veteran, EMT, and Penelope’s boyfriend
- Sheridan Pierce as Syd, Elena’s ‘syd’nificant other who is non-binary
- Santina Muha as Beth, a member of Penelope’s therapy group who uses a wheelchair
- Nicky Endres as Cynthia, a member of Penelope’s therapy group
- Alex Quijano as Mateo, Penelope’s friend from St. Bibiana Academy, who is also a parent
- India de Beaufort as Avery, a kindergarten teacher and Schneider’s girlfriend
- Raquel Justice as Nora, Alex’s Afro-Latina girlfriend
One Day At A Time Season 5 Expected Plotline
Season 5 of One Dat At A Time, if it happens, will pick up right where Season 4 left off. The fifth season will continue to follow the Cuban-American Alvarez family as they reside in Los Angeles and partake in their many activities. It’s possible that the show’s usual focus on everyday problems may continue in season five. Many members of the Latinx community in the United States struggle with issues related to mental wellness, sexism, homophobia, immigration, gender identity, and racial identification.
According to the show’s executive producer, Gloria Calderon Kellett, Season 5 of One Day At A Time will have several emotionally powerful episodes. They had even plotted an episode specifically on the topic of religious belief. On the other hand, an episode centered on Elena’s search for a university was also in the works. Since feelings were developing between Penelope and Max, perhaps it would be the subject of the future novel.
One Day At A Time Season 5 Release Date
Pop music was introduced in Season 3 because Netflix canceled the show after three seasons, as was previously announced. The cast and crew are taken aback by this news, as are the viewers, as they had no intention of ending the show. Netflix has informed the show’s producers that the series has been canceled because it does not reach their audience requirements.
but, after many months of deliberation and talks, the program was renewed for a fourth season; but, instead of premiering on Netflix, it made its way to POP. In 2020, when the COVID-19 pandemic was at its height, production was cut from 13 episodes to just six, all of which aired on POP. They later produced an animated episode in June 2020 named “The Politics Episode” with the original voice of the cast, while we were all confined. POP announced the cancellation of the show after the publication of that animation episode.
According to POP, the showrunner, the show will not air in 2020. One Day at a Time has been canceled, although there are speculations that the show’s creators are looking for a new broadcast partner and producers to develop a new season.