Is Massaging Feet Good for You
There are many reasons to massage your feet. If you have diabetes, it is especially important because poor blood flow can affect your feet. You may have nerve damage or loss of feeling in your feet if you have diabetes which means you could be walking on a blister or corn and not know it until it becomes infected.
Massaging your feet daily will help keep the blood flowing normally while stimulating other muscles in the foot that may not get used properly when you have neuropathy in the toes.
Massaging the bottom of the feet with lotion at night, before bedtime, has been found to reduce hypertension and sleeplessness according to studies published by Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC). There is also evidence that regular massage results in increased levels of serotonin, the feel-good hormone. There is some evidence that daily foot massage can improve immune system function, especially in people with lung diseases or cancer.
Fungal infections are common with diabetics because of decreased blood flow to the feet making them susceptible. Foot massages can help stimulate circulation throughout your body which is beneficial for general health as well as treating fungal infections on your feet.
The lymphatic system moves toxins and waste products through the body, normally assisted by the movement of muscles and skeletal structure but if you have neuropathy then the movement may be compromised resulting in accumulation of waste products which could lead to skin issues like eczema, cellulitis, athlete’s foot or even severe conditions like lymphedema so it is important to keep the lymphatic system flowing properly. Massaging your feet every day will help stimulate the movement of fluids through your body removing toxins and helping heal skin problems.
You may not know it but there are a number of muscles in the feet which connect to other parts of your body so massaging them can have a positive effect on those areas too. There is a direct connection in the body from the bottom of the foot, all the way up to different organs like the bladder and kidneys as well as endocrine glands like the thyroid gland, pancreas, and adrenal glands.
Foot massage is often recommended for people with diabetes because it helps relieve stress on their endocrine organs which could be affected by poor blood flow in this area caused by neuropathy.
It can be difficult to reach the bottom of your feet to massage them yourself so it’s best to get help from someone you trust or do it while watching TV, for example, this way you can follow the right technique and get the most benefit.
Massaging your feet is one of the simplest things that you can do which will have numerous benefits for your health, physical appearance (smoother skin on your feet), reducing stress levels, and improving your mood. The effects are cumulative so regular foot massages will lead to improved health overall!
foot massage effects on the brain:
The following are the main effects of Foot Massage on the brain:
1. Massage increases oxygen flow to the brain, so it improves concentration and memory.
2. Improves blood circulation in our body due to which more O2 & nutrients are supplied to all cells including those in the brain resulting in better functioning of Brain cells.
3. Increases Nerve Growth Factor that repairs damaged cells of the Central Nervous System.
4. Faster Removal of waste products like CO2 & lactic acid (resulting from muscle activity) out of your body through the bloodstream due to improved heart function & Blood Circulation.
5. Stress reduction by improving serotonin levels (natural feel-good hormones) resulting in a peaceful mind with increased focus & concentration.
6. Reduces mental illnesses like Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, and Dementia by increasing neurotransmitter levels of Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA).
7. Can be a part of a comprehensive treatment for chronic depression resulting from increased levels of endorphins.
8. Better sleep at night by relaxing your mind after a stressful day which will increase the quality of your nervous system due to deep relaxation caused by a foot massage that can activate parasympathetic mode in your Autonomic Nervous System.
9 . Reduce anxiety symptoms during menopause with a regular foot massage to reduce Cortisol Hormone(stress hormone) levels increases in your body.
10. Increases the sense of well-being, improve cardiovascular functioning & lower blood pressure resulting in a reduction in risks for Heart Attack & Stroke by improving Oxygen Supply to all organs including the heart and brain resulting from increased blood flow due to improved circulation.
11. Lower Dementia risk with regular foot massage because it increases nerve cell regeneration in the brain that may protect against Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and other disorders caused by age-related changes in the nervous system.
12. It sharpens mental focus, energizes muscles, and relieves pain due to which you feel physically renewed while feeling mentally relaxed after a long day at work or home resulting in an overall feeling of satisfaction.
13. Relieves headaches by increasing serotonin levels that reduce inflammation in the brain. 14. Reduces stress by increasing serotonin levels which makes you feel happy resulting in improved mood and reduction in anxiety.
15. It helps to balance cortisol levels by reducing stress due to sedating effects of serotonin, a hormone naturally produced during massage therapy resulting in improved heart function, blood circulation, respiratory rate, and metabolism.
Benefits of foot massage before bed:
A foot massage before bed can dramatically improve sleep quality due to increased blood flow caused by the massaging effect of your feet that relaxes your mind & body.
The following are additional benefits of Foot Massage:-
1 . Reduce chances for heart disease by improving Oxygen Supply to the brain resulting in reduced risk for Stroke, Heart Attack, Heart Failure, and death.
2. Lower back pain relief by increasing blood circulation in the lower back muscles which helps them to relax so you may feel lighter after a long day at work or home due to improved serotonin levels that reduce inflammation.
3 . Relieve Menstrual Pain (Dysmenorrhea) due to increased endorphin levels like Cortisol Hormone(stress hormone) that reduces inflammation.
4. Relieve headaches by increasing serotonin levels resulting in reduced muscle tension and stress of the nervous system, which causes headache pain to subside for some people.
5 . Reduce bad breath due to improved blood circulation resulting in better food digestion.
6. Lower Dementia risk with regular foot massage because it increases nerve cell regeneration in the brain that may protect against Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and other disorders caused by age-related changes in the nervous system.
7 . It sharpens mental focus, energizes muscles, and relieves pain due to which you feel physically renewed while feeling mentally relaxed after a long day at work or home resulting in an overall feeling of satisfaction.
8. Relieves Arthritis pain resulting from increased levels of endorphins reduces inflammation and stiffness after a foot massage.
9. It has been found that heart rate & blood pressure decrease may also reduce dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, fatigue, shortness of breath, or rapid breathing due to which you sleep better at night by relaxing your mind after a stressful day.
10. Reduce anxiety symptoms during menopause with a regular foot massage to reduce Cortisol Hormone(stress hormone) levels increases in your body.
Disadvantages of foot massage:
1. Increase your risk of injury because it can also increase blood pressure & heart rate which may cause fainting or discomfort.
2. Not safe for diabetics due to excess blood flow resulting in an unbalanced glucose level causing further health problems if not monitored closely by a healthcare provider.
3. Not recommended for people with severe nerve, muscle, joint, or eye disorders that may be worsened by increases in blood pressure & heart rate including people who have diseased arteries that obstruct blood flow to the brain or feet including those who have experienced past history of stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) due to increased chances of bleeding inside the skull and other complications while receiving massage therapy on their feet.
4. Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding women should not receive a foot massage because it can bring on contractions in pregnant women who have a history of pre-term labor and result in falling blood pressure levels (hypotension) to the developing baby inside the uterus.
5. Can cause an increase in your risk for headache or nausea due to which you may experience pain during the massage causing discomfort, dizziness, or fainting.
6 . Pregnant women should not receive a foot massage because it can bring on contractions in pregnant women who have a history of pre-term labor and result in falling blood pressure levels (hypotension) to the developing baby inside the uterus.
7. During chemotherapy or radiation treatment, it’s best to avoid receiving a foot massage because your body is especially sensitive to changes in heart rate & blood pressure during this time.
8. People with Hemophilia should not receive a foot massage because it could increase their risk for uncontrolled bleeding due to weak blood vessels that may be damaged by increased blood flow and bruising caused by even mild injuries like bumps and scrapes during the procedure.
9 . Not recommended for people with severe nerve, muscle, joint, or eye disorders that may be worsened by increases in blood pressure & heart rate including people who have diseased arteries that obstruct blood flow to the brain or feet including those who have experienced past history of stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) due to increased chances of bleeding inside the skull and other complications while receiving massage therapy on their feet.
10. Diabetics should not receive a foot massage because it can affect glucose levels causing fatigue, nausea, light-headedness, loss of consciousness, and an increased risk for infection due to weakened immune system caused by high sugar levels in your body from oxidative stress resulting from years of exposure to excess insulin that damages blood vessels time.