Health Benefits of Eating Oats and Oatmeal?
1. Oats helps in lowering harmful cholesterol levels and maintaining healthy blood pressure.
2. Oats boosts the immune system; it contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that strengthen your immune system.
3. It contains plenty of fiber to keep you fuller longer and help maintain a healthy digestive tract which prevents constipation and other stomach-related problems like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), diverticulosis, etc.
4. It reduces the high chances of developing type 2 diabetes by keeping blood sugar levels under control and reducing insulin resistance – one of the major causes for an increasing number of diabetic patients worldwide!
5 . It is also helpful in weight loss because it keeps you full for longer, thus preventing frequent cravings and overeating.
6. Oats contain a high level of vitamin B, a group of vitamins that play a significant role in maintaining energy levels and reducing stress and anxiety!
7. It has been found that oats help prevent certain cancers like colorectal cancer – one of the leading causes of death worldwide; it also prevents breast cancer and lowers the risk of developing prostate cancer!
8. Oats contain potent antioxidants (phenolic compounds), such as ferulic acid, avenanthramides, and caffeic acid, which protect cells from damage by free radicals – harmful molecules that cause aging and many diseases. Alike!
9 . Oats is helpful for pregnant women; it contains folic acid – an essential nutrient for unborn babies, thus preventing them from congenital disabilities. Also, oatmeal contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in pain relief during labor.
10 . Oats are beneficial for skin, too; they can treat acne and other skin-related issues because of their rich source of zinc, selenium, and flavonoids. It prevents inflammation by inhibiting the activity of enzymes that are responsible for causing inflammation!
11 . Oats are suitable for the bones also! It contains a high amount of calcium, which helps build strong bones and teeth. The B vitamins present in it boosts bone health by reducing the chances of osteoporosis in older adults! So start your day with a bowlful of oats!
12 . Now this one’s interesting; oats can make you smarter! A new study suggests that oats contain a certain kind of starch that can improve memory and other brain-related functions by increasing blood flow to the brain parts responsible for thought processes, speech, vision, and hearing.
13 . Oats contain many antioxidants called avenanthramides which, help fight harmful free radicals in our body that cause inflammation; inflammation is directly related to pain, so eating oats will help reduce muscle soreness after exercising or any physical activity!
14 . It helps maintain a healthy weight by reducing the chances of further weight gain! Oats regulate blood sugar levels which allows you to maintain stable energy throughout the day!
15. It also enhances mood and reduces stress because eating oats increases serotonin production in the brain – a neurotransmitter that makes people feel happier!
16. Oatmeal baths are very beneficial for your skin, susceptible skin! It restores the pH balance of our skin, leaving it soft and glowing.
Disadvantages of eating oats:
– It has a high glycemic index
– It is devoid of some essential nutrients provided by other cereal grains.
Oats have been studied for their cholesterol-lowering effects in animal studies and clinical trials.
 In controlled trials, oats significantly reduce total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides with increases in HDL when compared to control groups
. Foods high in beta-glucan fiber have been associated with lower heart disease risk factors, including blood pressure, inflammation, and obesity
. Oats also contain a variety of antioxidants, phenolic acids, and phytosterols which may contribute to their health benefits
. The antioxidant activity of oats is reported to be 50% higher than any other grain
. The antioxidant activity appears to be most prevalent against LDL oxidation and free radical scavenging properties.
. Oats are gluten-free, but they often contact gluten-containing grains during harvesting and transportation (e.g., wheat, barley). They, therefore, can become contaminated with small amounts of gluten.
. As a result, only those individuals who have an allergy or intolerance to gluten should consume oats.
Benefits of eating oats for skin:
-it can treat skin diseases.
-oatmeal face mask for acne-prone skin:-
You will need:
Oatmeal – 1/2 cup
Milk – 2 tbsp.
Honey – 1 tsp.
Mix all the ingredients and form a paste. Apply this on your face and neck and leave it dry for 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water. You should repeat this procedure at least once daily, preferably every other day, depending upon your skin condition.
3- oat flour :
Oatmeal is very high in vitamin E — containing more than three times as much as wheat germ — which is known to help protect cells from damage that could otherwise lead to skin cancer and other serious diseases. Oats are also a good source of zinc, which can help slow/prevent cell damage and promote skin repair.
Oat flour is low in gluten and contains no additives. You can make it by using dry oats or oatmeal to grind your own into a fine powder – I suggest choosing the smallest setting on your grinder. Alternatively, you can purchase ground oat flour from an organic food supplier.
Combine two tablespoons of finely ground oat flour with enough pure water to form a smooth batter (about 1 cup). Apply this mask all over your face; massage gently for 5 minutes, then leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
Oatmeal face mask:
You will need:
Oatmeal – 2 tbsp.
Milk – 1 tbsp.
Honey – 2 tsp.
Wheat germ oil – 1 tsp.
Mix all the ingredients to form a smooth paste and apply it on your face for 20 minutes before washing off with warm water. This can be used once or twice a week for problem-free skin. I use this mask every other day, but some use it daily without ill effects.
Oats benefits weight loss:
Oats, being a complex carbohydrate, is an excellent source of energy. It is recommended to have oats before a workout as it helps in increasing stamina and strengthening muscles.
Due to their high fiber content, oats are beneficial for weight loss. Oats also contain various health-benefiting properties such as antioxidants, iron, calcium, etc., which promote general well-being and good health.
Oats benefits heart disease:
Oatmeal is a healthy cereal grain with many nutrients, including magnesium, phosphorus, potassium selenium, vitamin E zinc, dietary fiber protein, folic acid thiamine niacin, biotin. It contains more soluble fiber than any other grain or cereal. Soluble fiber lowers serum cholesterol levels by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol and promoting increased excretion of bile acids. This reduces the risk of heart disease.
Oats benefits diabetes:
Diabetes is a chronic disorder that occurs when your body can’t correctly control the sugar level in your blood due to problems with insulin regulation. Oat products have been shown to reduce elevated glucose levels, LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglycerides and raise HDL (good) cholesterol levels.
Oatmeal oil benefits:
Mix some oatmeal powder with clean sesame oil until you get a thick paste. Apply it on your face before going to bed and leave it overnight. In the morning, wash off with cool water. Repeat this regularly for a month or so to treat dry skin.