The first item that immediately comes to mind when we discuss series in the romance category is Korean dramas. Goblin, or Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, is one of the most successful and widely watched Korean drama series in the world. Studio Dragon’s Joo Kyung-ha and Kim Ji-Yeon are responsible for the show’s production. The perspective of a goblin who wears a bleeding sword in his chest and who, in exchange for a price, has been granted eternal life, draws the reader into the love story. Life and death are more intriguing because of their twists and complexities.
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 Renewal Status
The fate of a second season of Guardian: The Lonely and Great God/Goblin is still unknown. There is currently no verifiable information available about a second season of this romantic drama series. Fans of Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 should rest assured, however, that we will share any new information with you as soon as we have it.
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 Release Date
The premiere of the first season aired on tVN in Korea on December 2, 2016. The last episode airs on January 21, 2017, and lasts about 1 hour and 22 minutes. Viki and DramaFever provide subtitles for a wide variety of Asian and international television series. Now that it’s out, ‘Goblin’ has all the hallmarks of a smashing mega-Korean drama success. Goblin’s story is original and inventive, which is why the show is so popular.
The show’s popularity is growing internationally as well. And then posted various parody versions of it online. The cast’s sense of style is one of the show’s selling points. As a result, consumers are eager to get the opening-night ensembles and accouterments. There has been no confirmation of a second season, but given the show’s massive success around the world, it’s possible that the producers may change their minds. There is currently no set release date for Season 2 of Guardian: The Lonely and Great God.
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Storyline
The youthful king has the Goryeo Dynasty’s most decorated military officer, Kim Shin (Gong Yoo), executed on false charges of being a traitor. After dying to protect his country’s warriors, he is cursed by God to live forever and watch his family members perish as retribution. Regardless of his tragic past, he chooses to assist others as an eternal goblin by using his skills for good. In order to terminate his torturous immortality, he needs the help of the Goblin’s bride to draw out the sword.
Ji Eun-tak (Kim Go-eun) is a vivacious and optimistic high school girl, despite the horrible events that have befallen her. She accidentally calls upon the Goblin, and soon their destinies become intertwined. Yoo Deok-hwa (Yook Sung-jae), the Goblin’s nephew, leases the Goblin’s house to a Grim Reaper (Lee Dong-wook), who then moves in with him. As a means to supplement her income, Ji Eun-tak joins the staff of Sunny’s (Yoo In-na) chicken shop. Kim Shin, Grim Reaper, Ji Eun-tak, and Sunny’s stories all weave together to reveal more about these characters, who are more than simply random acquaintances.
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Cast
- Gong Yoo as Goblin / Kim Shin: A 940-year-old immortal goblin and protector of souls who is in search for his bride, who is the only one who can remove the sword piercing through his chest.
- Kim Go-eun as Ji Eun-tak: An optimistic and bubbly 19-year-old high school student and the legendary Goblin’s bride.
- Han Seo-jin as young Ji Eun-tak
- Lee Dong-wook as Grim Reaper / Wang Yeo: A good-looking, cynical yet humorous grim reaper (Angel of Death) who guides souls to their reincarnations or afterlives and Kim Shin’s housemate.
- Kim Min-jae as young Wang Yeo
- Yoo In-na as Sunny / Kim Sun: The attractive owner of a chicken restaurant who hires Ji Eun-tak.
- Kim So-hyun as young Kim Sun
- Yook Sung-jae as Yoo Deok-hwa
- Jung Ji-hoon as young Yoo Deok-hwa
- Kim Hyun-bin as teenage Deok-hwa
- Lee El as Samshin, Goddess, the creator of birth and fate
- Kim Byung-chul as Park Joong-heon, a cunning and manipulative eunuch from the Goryeo Dynasty
- Kim Sung-kyum as Chairman Yoo Shin-woo, Deok-hwa’s grandfather
- Jo Woo-jin as Kim Do-young, Deok-hwa’s secretary
- Yeom Hye-ran as Ji Yeon-sook, Eun-tak’s maternal aunt
- Jung Young-gi as Park Kyung-shik, Eun-tak’s male cousin
- Choi Ri as Park Kyung-mi, Eun-tak’s female cousin
- Hwang Seok-jeong as triplet sisters; two of them as a shaman fortune tellers and a ghost
- Ham Sung-min as North Korean soldier
- Ahn Ji-hyun as Go Jung-hyun, the ghost in the library who was Eun-tak’s mother’s best friend
- Park Kyung-hye as Virgin Ghost, who always tries to take Eun-tak with her
- Park Se-wan as Go Shi-won, the ghost who asked Eun-tak to clean her dormitory and fill it up with food so that her mother will not be sad
- Kim So-ra as Lee Jung-hwa, a vengeance ghost whose husband killed her
- Go Soo-jung as a ghost
- Noh Gang-min as the boy in the back-alley of the chicken shop who thinks he has wind powers
- Kim Min-young as Park Soo-jin, Eun-tak’s schoolmate who harasses her and takes pictures of her and the Goblin
- Go Bo-gyeol as Kim Yoon-ah, Eun-tak’s class president who defends her and later becomes her friend
- Kim Nan-hee as Eun-tak’s homeroom teacher who discriminates against her because she’s an orphan
- Ma Min-hee as one of Soo-jin’s friends
- Yoon Hee-kyung as one of Soo-jin’s friends
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 Plot
Without official confirmation from the creators, we have no idea what will happen in Season 2 of Guardian: The Lonely and Great God/Goblin. Season 1 focuses on Kim Shin, a fearless general who was wrongfully convicted of treason and slain by a jealous young monarch, setting in motion the events that would lead to his incredible trip.
After his death, Kim Shin is punished for the lives he took as a general by being cursed by a higher power, becoming an immortal being, and being burdened with seeing the deaths of his loved ones. As a Dokkaebi or Goblin, a magical creature, he is on the lookout for peace and forgiveness.
Kim Shin’s misery can be put to an end only by the Goblin’s bride. He has been waiting for a human wife to arrive with the power to end his immortality curse for the past 900 years. An open finish to the first season left room for multiple interpretations. The resolution did not say whether or not Kim Shin was given permission to leave Earth with his human bride once they fell in love. If the show is picked up for a second season, fans may look forward to learning more about the fates of Kim Shin and Ji Eun Tak and seeing how they are ultimately resolved.
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2 Trailer
There can be no Season 2 of The Lonely and Great God trailer because the show has not been renewed for a second season.
Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 1 Rating
There are a lot of people who really like Guardian, The Lonely, and Great God, and they have given it a lot of praise in the form of high ratings and reviews. We can confidently conclude that Guardian: The Lonely and Great God has become one of the highest-rated Korean dramas based on its ratings of 8.6/10 on IMDb, 8.8/10 on MyDramalist, and 9.7/10 on Rakuten Viki.
Where to watch Guardian: The Lonely and Great God Season 2?
If there is a second season of Guardian: The Lonely and Great God/Goblin, it will air on the same streaming service as the first. TVN is the official streaming service, however, you can also watch it on Netflix.