Benefits of Shaving Against the Grain
the first benefit is that it gives a closer shave and thus saves time in the long run. The second and most important benefit is that when you shave against the grain, your hair regrows in an angled fashion. Since the hair regrows in an angled fashion, you are more likely to get ingrown hairs.
Ingrown hairs are caused by the fact that when you shave against the grain, you are cutting the hair at an angle, and then when your hair regrows it comes back in a similar fashion. Before shaving, your hairs were essentially lying flat on your skin, but after you shave them they’re standing up and if even one of these hairs starts to curl back into your skin, you’re going to have ingrown hair.
Once the hair starts to curl into your skin, that’s when you start getting those red painful pimples from shaving. You can also get a whitehead if a hair pops up and is exposed under the surface of your skin.
If this happens, use a sterilized needle and pop the pimple by poking it from the surface of your skin. If you try to shave off the white head, you’re just going to end up with a bigger problem than what you started with.
This is not convenient or aesthetically pleasing, so if you avoid shaving against the grain, then there’s no need for you to ever really deal with ingrown hairs. But if you do get them from time to time, they’re not a big deal and you can deal with them in the ways I just mentioned.
First of all, shaving with the grain is a better option as it leads to lesser chances of ingrown hair. In case if you have been doing it the wrong way your entire life, now you know that this practice can be harmful to your skin and hair growth. It is always advisable to follow a clean shave technique that does not lead to any skin irritation.
Illustration of shaving against the grain:
Before starting to shave, you need to get your face wet and then apply good shaving cream to it. Now start moving your razor gently over the surface at an angle that is roughly 30 degrees from your original direction. This will help in shaving off more hair and give you a closer shave.
Also, you should ensure that you are going with the grain rather than against it, as going against it might end up in skin irritation and other shaving problems. It is essential to go along the direction of hair growth instead of against it for better results.
ingrown bumps look like little red bumps, which are painful and if repeated they lead to scars. They can be prevented by using a sharp blade in order to avoid pulling or tugging hairs. In case you already have an ingrown hair problem, then you need to do the following:
1) Firstly clean your skin with hot water and soap before shaving. This ensures that there is no dirt or oil present in the pores.
2) shave with the grain instead of against it. This can be done by stretching your skin using your fingers before shaving.
3) If somehow you’re still getting ingrown hairs, then go for a chemical exfoliation process to get rid of them. Chemical exfoliators are available in the form of gels and lotions.
4) If going chemical is not a viable option, then you can go for at-home remedies like honey or lemon works great to get rid of these nasty bumps. You should dip a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and place it on your skin where there are ingrown hairs for around 15 minutes.
ingrown hair treatment:
Ingrown hairs are not just limited to your face, they can also appear on your neck and back as well. If you want to get rid of them and prevent further infections, follow these tips:
1) Apply lemon juice or apple cider vinegar directly on the affected area so that bacteria doesn’t spread. This will help in making your skin even.
2) Avoid using any oily products to prevent ingrown hairs as they will lead to pimples and rashes.
3) You should also go for chemical treatments, which include glycolic acid or salicylic acid gel that helps remove dead cells from your skin.
Choosing the right shaver is also important so that you don’t have to deal with skin irritation or ingrown hairs. It’s best to go for an electric shaver as it does not lead to any kind of red bumps on your face, unlike manual razors. Also before trimming down your hair, ensure that they’re soft and flexible as it will lead to the lesser tugging of hair and give you a clean shave.
If you already have ingrown hairs, then applying a hair conditioner to your skin can help solve the problem. This is one of the simplest ways to get rid of those nasty red bumps and lead a hassle-free life. It works by softening the hair and skin at the same time, which makes it easy for you to shave without any irritation or pain.
Don’t go out with an unshaven face as people might think that you are unhygienic and low on grooming skills. If you still haven’t shaved your beard yet, then you should follow these basic tricks that will surely help you get rid of that dirty look.
Does shaving against the grain promote hair growth:
No, it does not. Shaving against the grain means shaving with a sharp blade in the opposite direction of hair growth instead of going along with the flow. But going against the grain might cause skin irritation and rashes, which will make you look absolutely hideous. Besides, rather than making your beard thicker or promoting any kind of new growth, you might end up cutting more of your own skin instead.
Shaving against the grain Reddit:
If you want to get rid of that one-day stubble, then shaving against the grain might be the perfect solution for you. However, make sure you follow all these steps before doing so:
1) First of all, ensure that your beard is soft and flexible before shaving it down with a razor.
2) If possible, go for the grain instead of against it because you will have a clean shave without any scratch or cuts.
3) Don’t forget to apply moisturizer after shaving to condition your skin and prevent any red bumps.
How to shave against the grain without razor burn:
So, you want to ask how to shave against the grain without getting any razor burn or cuts. Well, it is never advised to do so as it can make your skin irritated and lead to infections. However, if you must do it anyway, then follow these steps:
1) First of all, apply shampoo on your face which will help soften your beard.
2) After that, let the shampoo sit on your skin for about 10 to 15 minutes before you get into shaving mode.
3) Apply hair conditioner using a whisk or just with your hands.
4) Let it sit on your face for another 5 minutes and then rinse out whatever is there on your face.
5) Once you have rinsed it out, pat dry your face using a soft towel and then apply some moisturizer to your skin.
6) After that, get a new sharp blade for shaving, and this time shave against the grain of hair growth.
Can you shave against the grain with an electric razor:
People mostly use an electric shaver when they don’t want to end up with a bloody and painful cut. While most claim that you can shave against the grain with an electric shaver, there are certain precautions that you should take before you do so:
1) First of all, make sure that your skin is totally dry, as wet skin makes it difficult for the electric shaver to glide over your face.
2) By now, you must have heard that electric razors are not meant for shaving against the grain. So, when you decide to do so, make sure that you go with a single-blade electric shaver and not with one of those where multiple blades come together.
3) If possible, use a shaving gel because it will allow the electric shaver to move smoothly over your skin without causing any redness and irritation.
4) To shave against the grain like a pro, make sure that you go in straight lines and not in circular motions. This way you will be able to get a clean shave without leaving any patches behind.
5) Also, don’t forget to keep your electric shaver clean at all times by flushing it with warm water after every use.