The Benefits of Guava
Guava is among the many natural fruits that have been known to man for a long time. It belongs to the family of Myrtaceae and Psidium genus, which contains about 100 species. Some of them include P. cattleianum, P. guajava, P. guineas, P. literature, P. littorale and P. rosincola.
The fruit that we generally eat is the guava (P. guajava). A key benefit of this fruit is its high content of vitamin C as well as some essential minerals such as potassium and iron. It’s also rich in folate and fiber.
This fruit is beneficial to our health in the following ways:
– Boosts immunity. The vitamin C content of guava helps strengthen your body’s immune system, making it more resistant to diseases.
– Prevents cancer. Guavas are said to have anti-tumor properties that fight against cancers of all types. Significant research has shown that guava extract may be effective in tackling cancer of the breast, colon, lungs, and cervix.
– Promotes heart health. Guavas are an excellent source of dietary fiber which is known to help reduce cholesterol levels and prevent cardiovascular diseases such as stroke and coronary heart disease.
A recent study conducted by the National University of Singapore shows that the consumption of guava significantly reduces triglyceride levels by up to 23% in healthy volunteers. Moreover, this fruit also contains high amounts of potassium which helps control blood pressure.
– Fights diabetes. Studies suggest that eating guavas regularly can help protect against diabetes as it slows down carbohydrate absorption and reduces the surge of blood sugar levels after a meal. Further, it also contains glucomannan which is beneficial for those suffering from diabetes as it can help control sugar levels by decreasing appetite and cravings for sugary snacks.
– Prevents common illnesses. In Thailand, people eat papaya leaves to prevent flu infections because they contain antiviral compounds that can kill the virus that causes the flu.
– Helps fight common infections. Guavas contain antioxidants that improve blood circulation and kill bacteria which may cause throat infections, sore throats, colds, coughs, and other respiratory tract infections.
– Promotes oral health. The high content of vitamin C in guava makes it effective in preventing gum disease as well as bad breath.
– Improves digestion. The fiber content in guava helps the body absorb nutrients from food more efficiently and get rid of waste through bowel movements easily. In addition, research suggests that guavas may be beneficial for those suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) by softening stools and reducing diarrhea symptoms.
– Provides the necessary energy. This fruit is rich in carbohydrates that are quickly absorbed into the blood to provide you with instant energy for your daily activities.
– Helps maintain healthy skin. The antioxidants, vitamin C, and other nutrients found in guava can help protect against sun damage, reduce wrinkles and sagging skin which is often caused by exposure to UV rays from the sun.
– Promotes strong and shiny hair. Vitamin C is highly beneficial for healthy hair growth because it supports collagen production which keeps your skin, nails, and hair strong and prevents early graying of hair. In addition, guavas contain omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, and sulfur which have been shown to improve the health of the scalp and hair, leaving it shiny and voluminous.
– Helps fight stress. The high levels of potassium found in guavas help prevent excessive secretion of cortisol which is the hormone responsible for stress. This fruit can help reduce anxiety, fatigue, mood swings, and depression related to stress because it contains B vitamins which also help promote relaxation.
– Promotes radiant skin. This fruit is rich in vitamin A which helps maintain skin health by preventing acne, premature aging, and other skin conditions. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe irritated or sunburnt skin.
– Helps keep bones strong and healthy. Guavas contain calcium and magnesium which are both essential for strong, healthy bones. Magnesium is required to activate certain enzymes that promote bone growth while calcium helps strengthen bone structure and prevents osteoporosis or brittle bones.
– Enhances the immune system. The high content of vitamin C in guavas boosts your immune system, increases iron absorption, and fights free radicals which are unstable molecules that damage cells in the body. These free radicals are often associated with reduced immunity, increased risk of infections, and aging processes.
– Boosts energy levels by increasing oxygen flow to the brain. Researchers found out that guavas contain xanthine alkaloids which are similar to caffeine in structure yet milder in effect. Xanthine alkaloids help increase oxygen levels in the blood and promote mental clarity.
– Promotes healthy brain function. If you suffer from an age-related decline in memory and recall, guavas may hold the answer to your problem because they contain high amounts of vitamin B9 (also known as folate or folic acid) which is essential for a healthy brain function.
– Promotes oral health. Guavas contain antioxidants that can kill bacteria which is believed to cause throat infections, sore throats, colds, coughs, and other respiratory tract infections. This fruit is also effective in preventing gum disease as well as bad breath.
– Helps fight stress. Guavas contain magnesium which is required to activate certain enzymes that promote bone growth while calcium helps strengthen bone structure and prevents osteoporosis or brittle bones.
Magnesium also helps prevent high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, menstrual symptoms, asthma-related symptoms, migraine headaches, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and depression.
– Provides the necessary energy. Guavas are rich in carbohydrates that are quickly absorbed into the blood to provide you with instant energy for your daily activities. In addition, guavas contain vitamin B9 (also known as folate or folic acid) which aids proper cell growth and division, promotes overall health, and prevents anemia.
– Promotes healthy skin. Vitamin B9 (also known as folate or folic acid) helps produce and maintain new cells in the body, which is essential for promoting healthy skin. It also prevents certain skin conditions like acne, dermatitis, sunburns, age spots, psoriasis, eczema, and is also known to help improve the condition of people with acne-prone skin.
– Provides relief from menstrual cramps. Calcium in guavas has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce pain and promote muscle relaxation when you suffer from menstrual cramps. One cup of guava contains almost 30% of the daily recommended calcium intake for women ages 19 to 50.
– Prevents heart disease. Guavas are rich in phytosterols which function as cholesterol busters by preventing the formation of cholesterol in your body, which ultimately reduces your risk of heart disease. A word of caution though, if you’re on cholesterol medication, avoid guavas because they may interfere with the medication’s effectiveness.
Promotes healthy teeth and bones. Guavas are rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, iron, lutein, folate (vitamin B9), vitamin C, beta-carotene, and zeaxanthin that works together to support the health of your teeth and bones. The fruit is also effective in preventing gum disease as well as bad breath.
guava juice benefits for skin, guava juice uses in skincare, guava for skin benefits, guava soap benefits for skin
What is a Guava – Guava fruit is a tropical fruit that belongs to the family of Myrtaceae. It is native to Central America and the Caribbean region. The natives have been using it for a long as one of their traditional food items.
Guava is a tropical fruit that can be consumed either in raw or cooked form. We all are aware of the medicinal properties, but are you aware that guava skin benefits are many? It has been used for various skin diseases for a long time.
Guava Skin Benefits & Uses :
Guava juice is full of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals which are beneficial for the skin. Here are the guava fruit benefits for the skin.
1 . Protection from Sun Damage –
Guavas have been used by various people in areas exposed to strong sunlight because of their natural sunscreen properties. These fruits contain a high amount of vitamin C and beta-carotene which help in protecting your skin from sunburns and the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
2 . Treatment of Skin Disorders :
Guava fruit has been used for skin problems for a long by people in various parts of the world. It can be consumed or applied externally on the body to treat many skin conditions including acne, blackheads, boils, and psoriasis.
3 . Treatment of Pimples and Skin Blemishes :
Guava is extremely beneficial in the treatment of pimples and skin blemishes. It also helps in treating various skin conditions like ringworm, scabies, and other fungal infections. Guava juice can be applied directly to the affected areas twice daily for quick results.
4. Freckles and Age Spots Treatment :
Guava is extremely beneficial in the treatment of freckles, age spots, and other sun-induced dark patches on your skin. The antioxidants present in guava juice helps in treating these problems by boosting collagen production within the dermal layer of your skin.
5 . Lightens Dark Skin :
Guava is also beneficial in lightening your skin tone and making it radiant by improving the health of your skin. It not only treats dark spots it also has natural bleaching properties that help lighten your overall complexion.
what are the benefits of drinking guava leaves?
If you are looking for an effective home remedy to treat skin problems like acne, dry skin, and pimples; guava leaves can be used as a great option. They contain many nutrients that help in treating several skin disorders.
You can prepare a decoction by boiling the leaves in water. Once it cools down, you can apply it directly to the lesions and pimples using a cotton ball. This will help in treating them effectively. Guava leaves are also beneficial for your overall health, they are high in minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, etc.
You can consume guava leaves regularly to get rid of several skin problems naturally. You can also add them to your daily diet in the form of juice or paste. You can also add guava leaves to your regular tea instead of mint to get rid of the common cold and cure cough and fever naturally.
In case you have been looking for some easy home remedies to treat sunburns, guava leaves are extremely beneficial in this regard. You can crush the leaves into a pulp and directly apply them to your sunburned skin. This will give you instantaneous relief from redness, inflammation, pain, and peeling caused by sunburns.