Many viewers of Showtime’s City on a Hill are hoping that the show will be renewed for a fourth season. When can we expect the sequel? Even the most devoted viewers of City on a Hill have questions like these about whether or not they should bother with the show. Don’t worry, because we’re going to tell you all we know about the upcoming fourth season of City on a Hill and let you decide whether or not to watch it. Let’s jump right in, shall we?
City on a Hill Season 4 Renewal Status
Showtime has decided not to renew the crime thriller City On A Hill for a fourth season after its third season is completed, according to Deadline. The series followed corrupt Boston police officers. David Nevins, a former CEO of Paramount Global, the parent company of Showtime, recently resigned and was succeeded by Chris McCarthy, formerly of Paramount Media Networks.
The decision to terminate the show, however, was made in secret about a month ago and had nothing to do with the new boss. In a statement, the service said, “City On A Hill completed the show’s successful run on Showtime with its Season 3 finale.” Working with Tom Fontana, Aldis Hodge, and the rest of the cast and crew, including Jennifer Todd and Jorge Zamacona as executive producers, has been an absolute pleasure. Our deepest gratitude goes out to everyone involved.
City on a Hill Storyline
Kevin Bacon, Aldis Hodge, Jill Hennessy, Lauren E. Banks, and Matthew Del Negro star on City on a Hill, which airs on Showtime. Guest stars include Corbin Bernsen, Joanne Kelly, and Ernie Hudson. The story follows assistant district attorney Decourcy Ward (Hodge) and his unexpected partnership with corrupt FBI agent Jackie Rohr (Bacon) in 1990s Boston. Season 3 focuses on the posh Beacon Hill district of Boston.
After Jackie Rohr (Bacon) was offered a high-paying position as the head of security for a wealthy family, he left the FBI and tossed his badge into Boston Harbor. Nothing to worry about here as long as anything gets out. Assistant district attorney Decourcy Ward (Hodge) sees a criminal inquiry as an opportunity to destroy the structures that sustain our faulty criminal justice system. Siobhan Quays (Banks), a lawyer representing a construction worker hurt during the Big Dig, must cope with the trauma of the previous year and the corruption plaguing the city. Jenny Rohr (Hennessy) learned from her own experience with her father that there are some things that will plague you until you crack.
City on a Hill Cast and characters
- Kevin Bacon as Retired FBI Agent John “Jackie” Rohr
- Aldis Hodge as Assistant District Attorney DeCourcy Ward
- Jonathan Tucker as Francis “Frankie” Ryan
- Mark O’Brien as James “Jimmy” Ryan
- Lauren E. Banks as Siobhan Quay
- Amanda Clayton as Catherine “Cathy” Ryan
- Jere Shea as Boston P.D. Detective Henry “Hank” Signa
- Kevin Chapman as Boston P.D. Detective J.R. “Dickie” Minogue
- Jill Hennessy as Jennifer “Jenny” Rohr
- Matthew Del Negro as Boston P.D. Detective Chris Caysen
- Cathy Moriarty as Dottie Ryan, Frankie and Jimmy’s Mother
- Rory Culkin as Clay Roach
- Kevin Dunn as District Attorney Nathan Rey
- Vincent Elbaz as Boston Police Officer Hugo Rhys
- Zoe Margaret Colletti and Lucia Ryan as Benedetta “Benny” Rohr, Jackie and Jenny’s Daughter
- Mark Ryder as Father Diarmuid Doyle
- Sarah Shahi as Rachel Benham
- Jimmy Cummings as Tommy Hayes
- Georgina Reilly as Corie Struthers
- James Remar as Richard “Richy” Ryan, Frankie and Jimmy’s Father
- Gloria Reuben as Eloise Hastings, Siobhan’s Mother
- Kathryn Erbe as Sue Stanton
- Charles Brice as Louie Ward, DeCourcy’s Brother and Louie’s Father
- Ernie Hudson as Franklin Ward, DeCourcy’s father
- Corbin Bernsen as Sinclair Dryden, Jackie’s mentor
- Joanne Kelly as Letitia Dryden, Sinclair’s wife
- Michael O’Keefe as Salvy Clasby
- Seth Gilliam as Reverend Jasper Fields
- Lee Tergesen as Vito “The Pig” Lupo
- Amr Elsheikh as Moustafa Mody
- Gary Perez as Felix Knight
Is City on a Hill a True Story?
Although Ben Affleck and Charlie MacLean’s City on a Hill draws from actual events, it is a work of fiction. The series itself is based on fiction, yet it alludes to real-life occurrences in its setting. Inspired by the many incidents that culminated in the city’s famous “Boston Miracle,” this series is set in the early 1990s and focuses on crime and corruption in Boston.
Where can I watch City on a Hill?
You can view all three seasons of City on a Hill on Disney+ Hotstar, and you can also watch City on a Hill on Amazon Prime Video if you have a Prime account.
Is City on a Hill Worth Watching?
Based on 37 critic reviews, Rotten Tomatoes gave the show a 76% approval rating and a score of 6.9 out of 10. There is a critical consensus on the website that says, “Though City on a Hill’s meandering story can’t quite match its ambitions, it’s entertaining—and sometimes riveting—to watch Kevin Bacon and company take on bureaucracy.” With a score of 7.6 on IMDb, the series is highlighted by a review that praises “the chemistry between the two main characters as the best part of the series.”
The once-popular HBO series The Wire depicted the Baltimore drug milieu from the perspectives of dealers and law enforcement, and this comparison appears to be the consensus among reviews of City on a Hill. The IMDb rating for City on a Hill is 6.3, while that for The Wire is 9.3. Many viewers thought Kevin Bacon was great, and they liked how he worked well with Aldis Hodge. Many viewers of the series expressed their approval.