Benefits of Oat Milk and Good for Heart Health
You can make it at home:
you can make oat milk at home and this makes it highly economical and healthy too. Homemade oat milk is healthy and made of healthy ingredients like oats, water, etc. But commercialized packaged ones may contain preservatives which we don’t know about their harmful effects on our body.
So, try making it at home by soaking oats in water overnight and pressure cooking them for a whistle. In the morning, blend them with milk to make smooth thick creamy milk. If you have used semi-skimmed milk instead of whole milk, add a few ice cubes in the blender to thicken your oat drink.
It’s rich in fiber:
Oat milk is rich in fiber. Fiber helps us to keep our digestive system healthy. It also ensures that the bowel movements are regular and we feel fuller for a longer time. This will prevent overheating which leads to obesity.
It’s low in fat:
Oat milk is low in fat as compared to other glasses of milk. Whole milk contains 8 grams of fat of which 5 grams are saturated fats and 3 grams are unsaturated fats. While, if you drink a glass of oat milk, it only contains 1 gram of fat which is mostly unsaturated fats.
It’s rich in calcium:
Oats contain a good amount of calcium, which is very important for our body to strengthen bones and teeth. Calcium deficiency may lead to osteoporosis which weakens the bones of the body.
It’s low in sugar:
Oats are low in sugar as compared to processed flavored glasses of milk like chocolate milk or strawberry milk, etc. Since oat milk contains no added sugar it is healthy and safe for diabetics too.
It’s easy to digest:
Oats are found to be easier to digest as compared to other types of milk like cow’s milk, buffalo milk, etc. This is because oats contain low lactose levels which require no breaking down by lactase enzymes produced by the body. Low levels of lactose make it easier for us to digest oats.
It’s safe for people with milk allergies:
Oat milk is free from casein, which makes it a perfect choice for people who are lactose intolerant or have milk allergies. It is also considered safe for babies suffering from milk allergies.
It contains strong antioxidants:
Oats contain powerful antioxidants like avenanthramide, ferulic acid, etc. These antioxidants are found to be highly effective in protecting the body against free-radical damage which is responsible for causing chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, cardiovascular disease, and so on.
It’s good for heart health:
The high quantities of dietary fiber in oats help to lower blood cholesterol levels which are good for the heart. Thus, it reduces your risk of heart diseases like stroke or coronary artery disease.
It’s good for bone health:
Oats contain large amounts of calcium and magnesium which are important ingredients in maintaining healthy bones and teeth.
It’s good for healthy skin:
Oats contain important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, zinc, selenium, and magnesium which are vital ingredients to maintain healthy glowing skin.
It’s good for weight loss:
Oats are rich in fiber which helps to keep you full for longer periods of time. People who have a high-fiber diet tend to eat less as compared to those who have a low-fiber diet. Having a high-fiber meal in the morning will help you to eat less for lunch or dinner, thus reducing your daily caloric intake and leading to weight loss.
It’s good for digestive health:
Oat milk contains dietary fiber which helps to keep the digestive system healthy by keeping your bowel movements regular and your digestive system healthy. Thus, it reduces your chances of chronic digestive diseases like constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.
Benefits of oat milk for the skin:
People who suffer from skin diseases like psoriasis tend to avoid dairy products, as these can make the symptoms of such conditions worse. However, oat milk is totally safe for people with different types of skin issues and it offers a number of benefits for your skin too. This includes:-
1. It has anti-inflammatory properties:
Oats contain proteins and several minerals like zinc, magnesium, copper, etc. These ingredients work together to reduce inflammation in the skin which is responsible for causing a number of different skin conditions. It also helps to speed up the healing process as well as relieve the symptoms of psoriasis.
2. It moisturizes your skin:
Oats have moisturizing properties which help to keep your skin hydrated and soft, thus preventing dryness.
3. It reduces itching:
Oats are good for relieving itching problems on the skin caused by conditions like dermatitis. It is particularly helpful for people who suffer from atopic dermatitis as it has anti-inflammatory properties which provide relief from the itching.
4. It is good for removing makeup:
Oats can be used to make a cleanser that helps in removing makeup, dirt, and other impurities from the skin leaving it soft and supple after every use. Moreover, it has natural moisturizing properties which help to lock in moisture inside your skin too.
5. It is good for treating acne:
Oats are rich in zinc, copper, magnesium, and selenium which help to fight the bacterial infection that is responsible for causing acne.
6. It helps reduce facial hair growth:
Oats contain some amount of estrogen which helps to reduce the rate of facial hair growth in women. Thus, it can be applied to the skin to reduce unwanted facial hair growth.
7. It is good for treating rashes:
Oats are anti-inflammatory in nature which helps to treat the rashes caused by conditions like dermatitis. Applying oat milk on your skin works as an excellent moisturizer and it also reduces itching, thus helping you get rid of rashes.
8. It helps to treat psoriasis:
Oats have anti-inflammatory properties which help in getting rid of the rashes caused due to psoriasis. Applying oat milk on your affected skin soothes and moisturizes it, thus making it look healthy and glowing once again.
9. It is good for treating acne scars:
Oats can be used in the treatment of acne scars. It is effective in removing the dark spots left behind by pimples, thus helping to reduce the appearance of acne scars.
10. It helps reduce age spots:
Oats are rich in vitamin E which is responsible for making your skin look younger and radiant by reducing the appearance of age spots. Oats help to get rid of dead cells on the surface of your skin and give you a smooth glowing appearance after regular usage.
11. It helps in wound healing:
Since oats have anti-inflammatory properties, they can also be used for healing wounds. Oat milk has excellent moisturizing properties which soothe irritated or inflamed skin and help in closing wounds faster.
12. It helps to treat sunburn:
If you happen to get a severe sunburn that is accompanied by itching, redness, inflammation, or dryness then applying oat milk can give you relief from all these symptoms. Oats have moisturizing properties which soothe irritated skin and provide relief from pain.
13. It is good for the young as well as the old:
Oats are suitable not only for people with different types of skin conditions but also for those belonging to any age group, including children and the elderly.
14. It helps in reducing wrinkles:
Oats have excellent anti-aging properties which reduce wrinkles on your skin and make you look years younger. Thus, it is one of the ingredients that should be included in your daily skincare routine to protect your skin from wrinkles.
15. It helps in the removal of dead cells:
Oats contain some amount of salicylic acid which helps remove excess oil and impurities from your face without drying out the skin. Thus, adding oats to your skincare routine can help you get rid of dead cells and make your skin look radiant and vibrant.
Oat milk disadvantages:
1. The properties of oats that make it an excellent ingredient for your skincare routine can sometimes cause a reaction if your skin is too sensitive or you have a wheat allergy.
2. Oats come loaded with gluten which can be harsh on the skin if it is not completely blended and mixed well with milk before preparation, thus making it difficult to rinse it off completely after application.
3. Oats are good for your skin but they can sometimes cause acne if used excessively or mixed poorly with other ingredients due to their high gluten content, thus causing clogged pores on the surface of your skin.
4. Oat milk does not have anti-aging properties and should not be used for reducing wrinkles on your face.
5. Oats are rich in proteins which can cause itching or inflammation to your skin if you happen to have a protein allergy.
6. They sometimes leave behind a sticky residue on the surface of the skin after application, making it difficult to blend other ingredients with them because of their thick consistency.
7. They are difficult to rinse off completely after application, thus leaving behind a good amount of residue on the surface of your skin which can cause build-up if not washed away properly.
8. Oats are rich in carbohydrates which are harsh for oily skin types because they have the tendency to worsen acne problems and lead to breakouts when used excessively on the skin.
9. Oats do not have any sun protection properties and should not be used for protecting your skin from harmful UV rays of the sun.
10. Oats sometimes contain high amounts of gluten which can cause clogged pores and acne if mixed poorly with other ingredients or used excessively on the face after application, thus disrupting the skin’s natural pH balance.