In recent years, science fiction programs on Netflix have dominated the streaming service. Due to the genre’s enormous success, streaming services like Netflix have increased their science fiction offerings to better meet customer demand. The Netflix science fiction collection includes a wide variety of highly regarded programs, including the inspiration for this piece, Away. After the first season’s launch, it’s time to evaluate whether or not a second season will be produced. In any case, numerous questions and doubts are being expressed among their followers. Therefore, we are here to provide the most recent and reliable information on Away Season 2, including its renewal status, release date, cast, and narrative.
Based on Chris Jones’s story of the same name published in Esquire, Away is an American science fiction drama created by Andrew Hinderaker and now airing on Netflix.
Away Season 2 Renewal Status
The first season premiered in 2020 to mixed reactions from viewers and reviewers. A month later, Netflix made the decision to cancel the science fiction series. Only 59% of critics at Rotten Tomatoes and 59% at Metacritic gave it a positive review. As a result of its low ratings, the streaming service chose to cancel it. Cindy Holland, a former vice president at Netflix, said in an interview that the company bases its renewal decisions on data showing how much money customers had spent on the service. The show obviously did not live up to expectations. Therefore, there was no need to keep through with the program.
Why Was Away Season 2 Cancelled?
Despite Netflix’s refusal to comment on the cancellation, Decider identifies three possible causes for the decision to pull the plug. To begin with, the program is very costly; rumor has it that each episode of The Crown costs Netflix more than $6 million. Those massive budget increases undoubtedly allotted resources to produce, perhaps more than Netflix could afford to invest.
The second reason is that several other fan-favorite series, including Away, were hit hard by the epidemic and were also threatened with cancellation. Although the project was given the go-ahead with detailed instructions on how to ensure everyone’s safety, filming Away was ultimately scrapped because of the added hassle. Putting off the performance for a few more months just adds to its price tag, so it would be best to end things quickly and cleanly.
Thirdly, although Away is an original Netflix series, it should be noted that the program was developed by NBC Universal, who licensed the show to Netflix. That means NBC Universal regains ownership of the program well within the confines of Netflix’s generous licensing terms (rumored to be more than five years after the conclusion of the final season). All things considered, Netflix will be the one to recharge episodes in order to build its collection, rather than NBC Universal.
Away Season 2 Cast and characters
- Hilary Swank as Emma Green, a NASA astronaut who is commander of the mission and ship Atlas. She is also the wife of Matt Logan and the mother of Lex.
- Josh Charles as Matt Logan, Emma’s husband, Lex’s father, and a NASA engineer who supports Emma’s mission at NASA’s mission control center in Houston.
- Vivian Wu as Lu Wang, a Chinese astronaut who is a chemist and who had an affair with CAPCOM Mei Chen.
- Mark Ivanir as Misha Popov, Russian cosmonaut and the Atlas engineer.
- Ato Essandoh as Kwesi Weisberg-Abban, a Jewish British-Ghanaian botanist and rookie astronaut.
- Ray Panthaki as Group Captain Ram Arya, the mission’s Indian second-in-command pilot and a medical officer. He is estranged from his family.
- Talitha Bateman as Alexis “Lex” Logan, Emma and Matt’s teenage daughter.
- Monique Gabriela Curnen as Melissa Ramirez, Emma’s crew support and friend who is helping out Emma’s family.
- Michael Patrick Thornton as Dr. Putney, Emma’s NASA psychologist.
- Martin Cummins as Jack Willmore, a NASA astronaut who was a potential candidate to command the mission, and serves as CAPCOM.
- Gabrielle Rose as Darlene Cole, head of NASA Flight Command.
- Brian Markinson as George Lane, another NASA leader.
- Fiona Fu as CNSA Mission Liaison, Li Jun.
- Nadia Hatta as Mei Chen, a CNSA mission control, Lu’s love interest
- Alessandro Juliani as Dr. Lawrence Madigan, Matt’s rehab doctor.
- Felicia Patti as Cassie, Melissa’s teenage daughter.
- Veena Sood as ISRO Mission Liaison, Meera Patel.
- Anthony F. Ingram as ESA Mission Liaison, Ted Salter.
- Adam Irigoyen as Isaac Rodriguez, a boy Lex meets when she returns to school and later develops feelings for.
- Diana Bang as Freddie.
- John Murphy as Ryan Masters.
- Derrick Su as Zhang Lei.
- Olena Medwid as Natalya Popov, Misha’s estranged daughter.
What may happen in Away Season 2?
Creating a base on Mars is likely to be the primary objective of the astronauts in Away Season 2, assuming that ever occurs. With almost a year on the planet and a long trip home ahead of them, these five astronauts have plenty of time to develop a wide range of interpersonal difficulties. Emma and Ram’s relationship was strained by the show when Ram confessed his feelings for the commander at the conclusion of season one.
According to Panthaki, the plot has barely begun. He told NME, “He’s got this shield and it takes a big lot to rip that barrier away. If you separate it, he’ll give it all to anyone you’re with. It will be fascinating to see how things develop. Back at home, Emma’s husband Matt must also deal with Melissa’s sudden confession of love. These two factors may place additional stress on an already difficult long-distance relationship.
Will we ever get Away Season 2?
Based on what we learned from Away’s previous executive producer—namely, that the program was originally intended to run for three seasons—it’s feasible that the creator may decide to renew the show for a fourth season soon. In addition, the program has to be selected by a streaming service other than Netflix if it is to be reinstalled. Well, stay glued to us to see whatever occurs next, but in the meantime, let’s see what the future of Away holds in store for us to see if it is renewed.