Benefits of Berries in our Body
Berries have been associated with a wide range of health benefits, from helping heart health to weight loss. These fruits are also believed to be beneficial for vision and brain function, as well as other areas of physical and mental wellness. Here we take a look at the unique nutritional profiles of berries and their potential health effects.
Berries and heart health:
Consuming berries regularly has been found to lower the risk of cardiovascular events, such as strokes and heart attacks. They help to do this by reducing cholesterol and blood pressure levels and preventing build-up in the arteries, which reduces the risk of atherosclerosis.
Berries’ high content of antioxidants is also thought to help keep arteries healthy and prevent cell damage, as well as lessening the risk of developing blood clots. Moreover, by improving glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity, berries may protect against type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Berry benefits for vision:
Eating berries has been associated with improved night vision. A study published in 2015 also found that supplementing with bilberry extract for four months improved night vision and reduced the speed of dark adaptation (the speed at which we see in low-light conditions). This effect has been attributed to the antioxidant anthocyanin, which is found in higher concentrations in bilberries than other berries, such as blueberries.
Berries and brain function:
Berries, especially blueberries, are rich in antioxidants known as polyphenols. Studies have found that polyphenol supplements can improve memory and cognitive function across a number of different age groups. In one study, older adults who consumed blueberry juice daily for 12 weeks experienced improved working memory and improved access to words and concepts. In another study, adults who drank blueberry juice daily for 12 weeks also showed improved cognitive function.
Berries’ power to prevent cancer:
Berries are often included in lists of superfoods, alongside other antioxidant-rich foods, due to their high content of polyphenols and anthocyanins. These compounds have strong antioxidant properties that can help fight free radicals and prevent oxidative damage to cells.
The body’s ability to stop free radical cell damage can also help reduce the risk of cancer, as well as other diseases. In addition, berries may be useful in supporting treatment for cancer patients by alleviating some side effects of chemotherapy or radiation treatment.
Berries for weight loss:
The natural sweetness found in berries may make them an ideal fruit for people who are looking to cut down on sugar or lose weight. Some evidence even suggests that having a serving of blueberries before a meal can help curb appetite and reduce the intake of calories during the meal. Berries also provide fiber, which helps you feel fuller for longer, as well as keeping your digestive system working well.
Top berry picks: blueberries and blackberries
Although all berries offer nutritional benefits, you can’t beat blueberries and blackberries when it comes to dietary fiber content. Blueberries are the best source of the plant nutrient anthocyanin, while blackberries contain even more antioxidants than blueberries and strawberries combined. No matter which berry you choose, be sure to buy organic if possible and enjoy them as a snack or over cereal.
benefits of berries for skin and hair:
Raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, and strawberry are all found in almost every fruit basket. But when they are processed for cosmetic applications the output is something quite different from ordinary fruits or even jams! Yet, why bother when they can already taste great? The benefits of berries for skin and hair stem not only from their flavor but also from the properties of essential oils extracted from them.
This is why berries are used in masks, creams, and shampoos. Besides being a great source of skincare agents they also contain certain levels of minerals that can boost your energy level.
1) Berry extract can heal acne due to its astringent effect on pores
2) It can keep the skin young if it is used regularly
3) The antioxidant effect of berries can deliver anti-aging benefits
4) They are rich in Vitamin C that not only helps the system fight germs but also possesses strong anti-oxidant properties. Berry’s cleansing ingredients include Salicylic Acid which makes berry extracts perfect for sensitive skin too.
5) Blueberry cream is an excellent after-sun treatment that soothes sunburned, tired, and hot skin. It can also heal cracked heels while Strawberry extract can be used in hand creams to prevent further damage caused by cold.
6) Raspberry contains Lycopene that possesses anti-inflammatory properties; it also contains Tocopherol that fights against free radicals. The fruit’s juice can be applied to rough elbows and knees to make them smooth within a few applications.
7) Blackberry reduces hair loss, stimulates hair growth, and makes your locks glossy due to its high Vitamin C content. Blueberry contains proanthocyanidin which helps in strengthening the structure of the hair.
8) Berries are also good for nails and their high Vitamin C content can prevent nail infections that lead to discoloration. This is why fruit masks made with berries are excellent skincare treatments, especially during hot summer days when your nails may become brittle due to excessive exposure to sun rays or water.
9) Strawberries contain malic acid and citric acid which helps in keeping the integrity of cells while raspberries can be used to fight acne and pimples, kill germs and cleanse the skin.
10) They also help balance pH levels on your skin which makes berry extracts perfect for sensitive and oily skins too.
11) Berry extracts can also relax your skin and make it smooth and soft by balancing the production of sebum.
12) They contain electrolyte minerals (such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium).
13) The general antioxidant effects of berries prevent various diseases that include cancer; they also improve vision and strengthen immunity.
14) Due to the high levels of Vitamin C they can also help improve vision and strengthen immunity.
15) When applied to the skin, berry extracts increase blood circulation.
16) The presence of malic acid in berry extracts makes them perfect for exfoliating your skin and unclogging the pores to get a refreshed and glowing look. It also removes dead cells and dirt from the surface of your skin.
17) Cranberry extracts possess anti-aging properties, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, while raspberry extracts are used for treating severe dehydration.
18) Blackberry is excellent for age spots while blueberry can help get rid of acne scars. They also contain Vitamin E that helps in whitening the skin, so berry extracts are perfect for achieving a fairer complexion.
19) Blackberry is excellent for age spots while blueberry can help get rid of acne scars. They also contain Vitamin E that helps in whitening the skin, so berry extracts are perfect for achieving a fairer complexion.
20) If you have dry hair or hair that is falling out then consider applying berry extracts regularly to your scalp because they contain high levels of Vitamin C and proanthocyanidin which can make your hair stronger and prevent it from falling.
what happens if you eat blueberries every day:
-Blueberries are rich in antioxidants that fight free radicals that lead to various chronic diseases.
-As they are low in calories, eating blueberries every day is great for preventing obesity.
-They support healthy eyesight and skin thanks to their high Vitamin C content.
-Regular intake of blueberries can also help lower the risk of heart diseases and stroke.
-Blueberries also help in controlling diabetes as they contain a low glycemic index.
-Eating fresh wild blueberries can improve your digestion by relieving constipation.
-Regular intake of blueberries supports the immune system, thus preventing infections such as colds and cases of flu.
-Preliminary research suggests that wild blueberries can boost sperm production, thus increasing fertility. A little-known fact about these amazing berries is that they act as natural aphrodisiacs.