On November 25, 2016, Netflix released ‘3%,’ its first original series in Portuguese. The show centers on a group of financially strapped young adults who set out on a quest to finish the process and join the prosperous society of the future. The Brazilian dystopian thriller, ‘Três por cento,’ was conceptualized in an independent pilot episode by creator Pedro Aguilera in 2009.
The science fiction series was praised upon its initial release for its intricate world-building, varied ensemble cast, plot twists, breathtaking cinematography, and fully realized characters with rich backstories. It was praised for showing how morals can shift dramatically when the stakes are enormous and for its exploration of social and cultural themes. The show has been successful during its three seasons, garnering a large fan base and a Global Audience Award at the Rio Creative Conference. Despite the show’s popularity, Netflix opted to end production after four seasons. You may be asking why the show was canceled and if there can be any hope for a Season 5 of “3%.” What is it?
3% Season 5 Renewal Status
The series will end after season 4, which is a great disappointment. What’s on Netflix claims that the upcoming fourth season will be the last of the critically acclaimed show. Those who have been following 3% should enjoy the remaining episodes because it will soon be ending.
3% Season 5 Release Date
The first season of this entirely Brazilian series premiered on November 25, 2016, and features a total of eight episodes. The show’s second season premiered in 2018, and we’ve been getting new episodes regularly ever since. Season four, set to air in 2020, will be the last.
There has been no word on whether or not the show would return for a sixth season, so for the time being, we may consider the fifth season canceled. We estimate that the fifth season will arrive no earlier than the fourth quarter of 2023, assuming that any decision is made in 2022. If there is a fifth season, there will be about the same number of episodes (about 7-8), and they will all be about the same length (around 49 minutes).
In the distant future depicted in Netflix’s 3%, a large portion of the population resides in the impoverished interior, while the wealthy few reside offshore. Only 3% of all 20-year-olds really make it through “the process,” an annual series of tests, and on to the offshore. Fans and critics alike have been pleased by the series’ original dystopian world and engaging characters.
3% Cast and characters
- João Miguel as Ezequiel, the head of the Process. He is intense, mysterious, short-tempered, and conflicted by ideal extremes.
- Bianca Comparato as Michele Santana, a smart and sly young woman who has a very strong sense of justice.
- Michel Gomes as Fernando Carvalho, raised by his father, who fostered in him the singular purpose of passing the Process.
- Rodolfo Valente as Rafael Moreira, egocentric, selfish, sarcastic, and willing to do anything to pass, even cheat.
- Vaneza Oliveira as Joana Coelho, an orphan who survived on her own at the margins of society, on the streets of the Inland.
- Rafael Lozano as Marco Álvares, from a family known to always pass the Process and who are waiting for him in the Offshore.
- Viviane Porto as Aline, a young and ambitious employee of the Council, with the mission to overthrow Ezequiel and become the next head of the Process.
- Samuel de Assis as Silas, a compassionate Inland doctor, but also a member of the Cause.
- Cynthia Senek as Glória, Fernando’s close childhood friend.
- Laila Garin as Marcela Álvares, Offshore’s military commander, and later, the head of the Process.
- Bruno Fagundes as André Santana, Michele’s brother and the first Offshore citizen to commit a murder.
- Thais Lago as Elisa, a doctor in the Offshore and Rafael’s girlfriend.
- Amanda Magalhães as Natália
- Fernando Rubro as Xavier
- Mel Fronckowiak as Júlia, Ezequiel’s wife and an employee of the Process, who ends up
- being depressed and in doubt about her actions.
- Sérgio Mamberti as Matheus, a member of the Council.
- Zezé Motta as Nair, a member of the Council who serves as a friend to Ezequiel.
- Celso Frateschi as the Old Man, the founder of the Cause.
- Luciana Paes as Cássia, head of security for the Process. She is extremely loyal to Ezequiel.
- Dárcio de Oliveira as Antônio, a spiritual leader and Fernando’s father.
- Luana Tanaka as Ágata, a candidate in Michele’s group.
- Roberta Calza as Ivana
- Rita Batata as Denise
- Leonardo Garcez as Daniel
- Clarissa Kiste as Luciana
- Júlio Silvério as Otávio
- Thiago Amaral as Álvaro
- César Gouvêa as César
- Geraldo Rodrigues as Geraldo
- Ediana Souza as Camila
- Fernanda Vasconcellos as Laís
- Maria Flor as Samira
- Silvio Guindane as Vítor
- Marina Matheus as Ariel
3% Season 4 Recap
Though the show’s timeline isn’t entirely clear, it’s set in a future Brazil when the globe has seen a tremendous apocalyptic stage and is suffering from total poverty. Now, only a select few people from this ill-fated area can leave for a more affluent and fortunate region, where they can provide a better life for their children and grandchildren. Now, however, they must go through a “process” that is fraught with hardships and ultimately destroys a person before they may join that society. Only 3% of all applicants make it through to the next stage, with the rest being disqualified (and possibly killed) in the process.
Where can I watch 3%?
Since the show is produced entirely by Netflix, it has exclusive streaming rights on the Netflix platform. There, you can find episodes from all four of the show’s seasons.