Benefits of Lemongrass
1. Anti-bacterial properties
2. Cures fever and flu
3. Treats skin problems like eczema and psoriasis
4. Detoxifies the body and cures kidney and liver ailments
5. Anticarcinogenic, prevents cancer cells from growing inside the body: lemongrass prevents the formation of nitrosamines, which are carcinogenic substances that form in some foods when cooked at high temperatures.
6. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent for treating pain arising from inflammation and rheumatic conditions.
7. A blood purifier, lemongrass remove toxins from the liver, gall bladder, and kidneys.
8. Cures bad breath and body odor, lemongrass is often recommended for its deodorant properties.
9. An insect repellent, lemongrass oil can be mixed with other oils or water to make an effective insect repellent. Not only does it repel insects but the herb itself is also insecticidal and is used in several organic pesticides.
10. Soothes aches and sprains, lemongrass tea is great for bathing in when you have aching muscles or joints due to its anti-inflammatory properties: You can add few drops of the essential oil in your bath water to soothe tight and sore muscles.
11. Skin lightening properties, it has been used for decades as a skin-lightener due to its high levels of antioxidants.
12. Helps treat insomnia, by providing a soothing and calming effect on the body: Lemongrass also helps with relaxation and sleep problems because it contains GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) that induces sleep.
13. Helps with rheumatic conditions, mild sedative properties help to reduce stress and relieve muscles aches and pains while its anti-inflammatory effects can prevent further damage from rheumatic conditions.
14. It helps lose weight, lemongrass is a good source of dietary fiber which speeds up the metabolism and aids in weight loss.
15. It removes toxins from the body, lemongrass detoxifies the blood, liver, and kidneys by removing toxins such as uric acid.
16. Treats urinary tract infections (UTI), urinary health is one of the many uses of lemongrass oil: The antibacterial properties of this essential oil have been found to be effective in treating urinary tract infections.
17. Lemongrass oil protects your hair from damage, it’s a good ingredient for homemade hair masks. Just mix the herb with coconut or olive oil and massage it into your scalp before shampooing as usual. It will strengthen your hair while leaving it smooth and shiny.
18. Treats nausea and motion sickness, a few drops of the essential oil can help relieve nausea and motion sickness while tea is often used to cure morning sickness during pregnancy.
19. It serves as a tonic for the liver, kidney, spleen, and pancreas, lemongrass acts as a good digestive tonic while its diuretic effect helps to increase the production of urine and removes excess water from the body.
20. It is a good remedy for indigestion, heartburn, and flatulence, lemongrass tea can be taken after meals to ease bloating, heartburn and indigestion while its essential oil aids in the treatment of flatulence.
21. It has anti-cancer properties, lemongrass is rich in antioxidants and its essential oil can induce apoptosis (cell death) in cancer cells: This herb also possesses strong antibacterial and antifungal properties and it’s often used as a carminative for treating digestive disorders that lead to the formation of gas in the digestive tract.
22. It has sedative properties, lemongrass essential oil is often used as a natural sedative for treating anxiety and stress while its tea can be taken to relieve insomnia.
23. It helps treat arthritis and rheumatism, arthritis sufferers have been using lemongrass tea for years while its essential oil is often used in aromatherapy and massage oil to relieve pain and swelling caused by these debilitating conditions.
24. It helps fight infections and reduce fever, lemongrass tea is often taken as a remedy for colds and flu while the herb can also be used topically to help treat skin infections such as athlete’s foot, burns, and insect bites.
25. Keeps your teeth healthy, this herb is often used as a mouthwash to eliminate bad breath since it kills the bacteria that cause halitosis (bad breath) while at the same time it acts as an astringent for strengthening gums.
26. It serves as a skin toner, facial steam for skincare, and skin softening, lemongrass works as a natural skin toner while its essential oil can be used to soften your skin.
27. It serves as an insect repellant, insects absolutely hate the smell of lemongrass essential oil making it an effective bug repellent: It’s especially helpful in keeping mosquitoes away since it can be applied topically without being toxic.
28. It prevents premature aging, the high levels of antioxidants in lemongrass promote cell growth while its anti-inflammatory properties help fight free radicals that damage skin cells and lead to skin aging.
29. It helps treat flatulence, bloating, heartburn, indigestion, coughs, and colds.
30. Lemongrass helps relieve anxiety & stress, just inhale its aroma for a few minutes or diffuse it in your room while you’re at home to relax and fight anxiety.
Benefits of Lemongrass Tea:-
1. High in Antioxidants:- Lemongrass is a great source of antioxidants. These are the substances that help in protecting our cells from damage.
2. Reduces Stress and Anxiety:- Lemongrass has been found to have stress-relieving properties, which can be attributed to the presence of high amounts of Vitamin C and its antioxidant property.
3. Prevents Cancer:- Lemongrass contains an essential oil that is very rich in antioxidants, which play a vital role in fighting cancer-causing free radicals.
4. Hair Care:- Lemongrass helps to control dandruff by reducing the overproduction of Malassezia furfur, the microbe that causes dandruff.
5. Controls Diabetes:– Lemongrass has been found to have anti-diabetic properties, which help in reducing the glucose levels in our blood and also reduce insulin resistance.
6. Helps in Weight Loss:- Lemongrass has been used for a very long time as a natural weight loss aid, helping to reduce body weight. It contains an essential oil that helps in suppressing appetite.
7. Improves Digestion:- Lemongrass is known for its cleansing properties and can be used as a digestive tonic after heavy meals to remove toxins from the digestive tract.
8. Heals Acne:- The antimicrobial properties of lemongrass are useful for acne treatment.
9. Mood Elevation:- Lemongrass is known for its calming effects, which help to improve your mood and also induce sleep.
10. Controls Diabetes:- Lemongrass has been found to have anti-diabetic properties, which help in reducing the glucose levels in our blood and also reduce insulin resistance.
11. Lowers Cholesterol:- Lemongrass is rich in flavonoids, which help to lower LDL cholesterol levels as well as triglyceride levels in our blood.
12. Antioxidant Capacity:- A clinical study found that lemongrass had a higher antioxidant capacity than green tea and black tea.
13. Anti-Fungal, anti-Bacterial Properties:– Lemongrass has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that can be attributed to the presence of high amounts of citral in lemongrass oil. The essential oil of lemongrass is effective against fungi, bacteria, and viruses.
14. Boosts Immunity:- Lemongrass oil is rich in carvacrol, which is a natural antimicrobial and antifungal agent and can help boost your immunity and fight infections.
15. Lowers Blood Pressure:- Lemongrass is known for its hypotensive properties that help to reduce blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels.
16. Wound Healing:- Lemongrass has been used for centuries to treat wounds. The antiseptic properties of lemongrass help to fight infections and also promote wound healing.
17. Prevents Diarrhea:- Lemongrass helps to prevent diarrhea by inhibiting the growth of certain digestive tract bacteria.
18. Cures Colds:- Lemongrass is used in traditional medicine to treat colds. It has expectorant, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties that help to fight respiratory infections like the common cold.
19. Increases Milk Production:- Lemongrass is known for its galactagogue effects, which promote milk production in lactating mothers.
20. Mood Elevation:- Lemongrass is known for its calming effects, which help to improve your mood and also induce sleep.
what is the side effect of lemongrass:
Do not use lemongrass essential oil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Avoid contact with the eyes and other sensitive areas. If you get some of the essential oil in your eyes, flush them immediately with cold water.
If you have an allergic reaction to lemongrass, discontinue use immediately and seek medical help.
Symptoms of a mild allergic reaction include skin irritation, itching, redness, and swelling.
Seek medical attention immediately if you experience an allergic reaction that involves difficulty breathing or swallowing, swelling of the lips, tongue, or face, tightness in the chest or throat, hives, and palpitations.
Do not use lemongrass oil undiluted. Always dilute it with a carrier oil before using it on your skin.
Avoid exposure to sunlight after applying lemongrass essential oil, as it may cause photosensitivity reactions.
Keep the bottle of lemongrass oil tightly closed and place it in a cool, dark place to prevent premature degradation of the oil’s components.
Lemongrass oil should be used within one year of purchase if stored properly under cool, dark conditions.
Lemongrass oil is usually safe to use; however, large doses can cause indigestion, nausea, and depression.