Benefits and Harm of Massage Therapy
Massage is very helpful in decreasing stress and gives relief from mental turmoil. It balances the nervous system, increases blood circulation, and boosts the immunity of a person.
It also helps in managing chronic pain. It stimulates the skin to restore texture and tone of skin which makes you look young. It reduces water retention that causes swelling in the body.
Massage helps in releasing toxins from the body by stimulating the lymphatic system. It reduces muscular pain and enhances the flexibility of muscles.
massage enhances oxygen supply to your cells which increases blood flow, metabolic activities, and nutrient absorption. It prevents osteoporosis that is caused due to bones weakness or brittle nature. It also cures emotional stress.
Massage is helpful in digestion and metabolism. It enhances the secretion of digestive enzymes from the pancreas, bile from the liver and intestine, and gastric juices, thus accelerating the process of digesting food and absorption of nutrients.
Massaging some part of your body continuously for a long time can cause numbness or tingle in the part. It can also lead to over bleeding of blood.
Massage should not be done on people who have osteoporosis, varicose veins, bone fractures, open wounds, recent surgery, high fever, cancer, acute migraine.
Pregnant women must avoid massage therapy because it can cause contractions.
Children and old age people should also avoid it as their tissues are weak and can become more prone to damage.
Ways to prevent yourself from harmful effects of massage:
You must inform your therapist about any health issues that you are suffering from, before initiating the massage therapy.
You must let your therapist know about any medications that you are taking so he/she can start the massage after informing your doctor if required.
You must tell your therapist about the areas where you feel more pain so that he/she can provide more pressure in those areas.
you should drink lots of water post-massage to flush out toxins from your body.
You should not massage on an empty stomach because it will reduce the blood flow to your muscles and increase cramping thus reducing the benefits of massage.
You should drink plenty of water after a massage therapy session to hydrate your body and flush out the toxins from your system.
you must eat healthy food and avoid junk food as it can reduce the benefits that you get from massage therapy.
While massaging, if you feel pain and discomfort then you should stop immediately and communicate the same to your therapist.
If you feel any numbness and tingling in your muscles then you must try massaging it with warm water or take a hot shower.
You can also apply oil instead of massage cream to increase blood circulation in the body and improve the benefits you get from massage therapy.
you should ask your therapist before you take a shower after the massage session.
You should also ask your therapist to give you some stretching exercises that will help in avoiding stiffness and pain in muscles.
You can also apply heat or ice packs to the affected area before and after the massage therapy.
you should try to have a happy stress free life because it is one of the factors for healthy living. Massage can help you achieve that. Maintaining your health is not just about what you do at the spa, but also what you do and who you are when you leave the spa.
you must take care of yourself and your body because it is the place where God resides. He will always help you to get back on track when things go wrong. So never forget to pray before doing anything new.
Most of all, you must remember that massage is not a substitute for medicine. It is just an alternative method that helps to improve the health and well-being of your body.
Top 10 benefits of massage therapy:
1. Massages aid in normalizing and maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance within the cells, supporting healthy nerve and muscle function, which may help alleviate symptoms associated with fatigue, stress, or even medical conditions.
2. Research has indicated that massage therapy may lower blood pressure by increasing circulation to peripheral blood vessels allowing for greater efficiency of transport of nutrients and waste products.
3. Massage has also been shown to increase both the level of oxytocin and endorphins, which are natural hypnotics that promote feelings of calmness and well-being.
4. A healthy immune system is vital to wellness, research indicates that massage therapy may help stimulate the immune system by increasing lymphatic drainage and flow.
5. Massage has been shown to reduce levels of cortisol, a stress hormone that is the cause of many health issues both psychological and physical in nature.
6. Massages may aid in normalizing heart rate and rhythm by increasing circulation through the thoracic region, which contains the heart and lungs.
7. Increased circulation from massage therapy may help to improve skin health by allowing pores to open and sweat glands to cool the body through perspiration.
8. Massage therapy has been shown to decrease pain associated with sore muscles or joints by releasing endorphins which act as natural painkillers in the body.
9. Massages are known to aid in mental relaxation by triggering changes in the limbic system, a central region of the brain that is associated with emotions and behavior. Massages may also help to ease symptoms of depression by increasing levels of serotonin in the body which affects mood as well as appetite.
10. Massage therapy has been shown to decrease anxiety by releasing endorphins into the bloodstream faster.
Advantages of body massage:
1. People who are not comfortable with working out can improve their body strength by massage therapy.
2. People who have some mental issues, chronic stress, or anxiety can reduce their problems of these issues through massages.
3. Massages help to improve the metabolism system of the human body which leads to better digestion and improved immunity.
4. A massage can help to ease the pain caused by arthritis, back pain, or any other type of muscle or bone problem. It may also reduce pain related to headaches and migraines.
5. Massages are also known for reducing fatigue and soothing sore muscles.
6. People who have high blood pressure can reduce their blood pressure by doing regular massage therapy.
7. People who suffer from anxiety or depression can get rid of that disease through regular massages which will release some chemicals into the body by stimulating the limbic system in the brain which regulates mood, behavior, and emotions.
8. People with respiratory issues can find relief from their problems by doing regular massages because it eases the breathing process.
9. Massage therapy also helps people with insomnia or sleep deprivation to sleep properly and relax their muscles so that they can find relief from pain caused by not sleeping well.
10. Massages help people with headaches, back pain, arthritis, fatigue, stomach aches, and other types of pain to get rid of that pain.
Disadvantages of body massage:
1. People who suffer from respiratory issues or chronic diseases like arthritis should avoid massages because it can be very dangerous for them rather than doing good for their health.
2. People with immune system problems should also not do massages because their bodies cannot fight against diseases or anything that might be harmful to them.
3. Some people have some allergies to certain foods, so they should avoid these types of oils used in massages if they have a reaction to it.
4. People who suffer from osteoporosis should also not do massages because it can break their bones.
5. If a person has any type of skin disease then they should avoid massages because the oil used in massages will react with skin conditions and make them worse.
6. People who suffer from high blood pressure, heart disease, depression, anxiety, insomnia, or chronic fatigue should not do regular massages because it can make their condition worse.
7. People who have just undergone surgery or still having any type of bodily injury should not do massage therapy because it may cause more damage than good to their bodies.
8. People with blood pressure problems should avoid massages because using oil in massages increases the blood flow and causes more damage to their bodies.