Today’s audiences love K-dramas. The success of K-dramas like “Crash Landing on You,” “Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha,” and “Squid Game” paved the way for even more popular shows like these. The drama A Korean Odyssey is a perfect example of the type that stays with viewers long after it airs.
The cast of A Korean Odyssey, or Hwayugi as it’s known in South Korea, includes actors Lee Seung-gi, Cha Seung-won, Oh Yeon-seo, Lee Hong-gi, and Jang Gwang. The drama is a contemporary retelling of the Hong sisters’ classic Chinese novel Journey to the West, which was written in the 16th century. It debuted on TVN on Saturday and Sunday, December 23 and 24, 2017. Many years have passed since the drama’s debut, and viewers have waited patiently for the announcement of A Korean Odyssey Season 2.
A Korean Odyssey Season 2 Renewal Status
Both audiences and critics had a lot to say about how much they enjoyed the first run of A Korean Odyssey. The drama’s compelling plot kept viewers tuned in until the very end, and it quickly rose to the top of the ratings. Its average audience share by the end of the first season was 6.1%, which is massive. As a result, followers were assured that the sequel was on its way. That, however, did not occur. Fans expected as much, seeing as how the K-drama’s renewal after its initial run is highly unlikely.
All hope for a second season of A Korean Odyssey was extinguished at the conclusion of the first. There is, however, a remote possibility that fans will see a spin-off series in the near future, given the series’ enormous success and fan base.
A Korean Odyssey Plot
The protagonist of “A Korean Odyssey” is a young woman named Seon-mi. The ability to see ghosts is more of a curse than a blessing for her. She can’t lead a normal life since ghosts are always hovering about her. She has a hard time connecting with people because of this, and even her own family avoids her whenever they can. Her grandma is the only person who truly gets her plight and, to help, she offers her an enchanted yellow umbrella. This prevents any ghosts from getting too close to her.
One day, as she walks home from school, a stranger approaches her and begs for her assistance. He requests that she utilize her abilities to enter a residence and collect what he needs. However, there are a few things that she must remember. The yellow umbrella should never leave her side, as the house has magical properties.
She shouldn’t give any of the people she encounters there any of her attention, no matter what. Seon-mi agrees, and she is almost successful in her escape. But then Son Oh-Gong, the imprisoned Monkey King, tempts her with a deal. If she lets him go, he’ll protect her from harm forever, and all it takes to summon him is a simple name. When she finally sets him free, he plays the trick that causes her to forget his name. Years later, with Seon-mi now the head of a real estate business specializing in paranormal properties, we pick up the story.
A Korean Odyssey Cast and characters
- Lee Seung-gi as Son Oh-gong the Great Sage Equal to Heaven
- Cha Seung-won as Woo Hwi / Woo Ma-wang
- Oh Yeon-seo as Jin Seon-mi / Sam-jang
- Kal So-won as young Jin Seon-mi
- Lee Hong-gi as P.K / Jeo Pal-gye
- Jang Gwang as Yoon Dae-sik / Sa Oh-jeong
- Lee Se-young as Jung Se-ra / Zombie / Jin Bu-ja / Richie (Bu-ja) / Asanyeo
- Song Jong-ho as Kang Dae-sung
- Kim Ji-soo as Cha Eun / Seo Yoon-hee / Na Chal-nyeo
- Sung Ji-ru as Soo Bo-ri
- Kim Sung-oh as Lee Han-joo
- Sung Hyuk as General Winter and Summer Fairy
- Yoon Bo-ra as Alice / Ok-ryong
- Jung Jae-won as Hong Hae-ah
- Oh Yoo-mi as the teacher ghost that Ma-wang got rid of
- Jung Sang-hyun as Seon-mi’s bully
- Seo Jang-hyun as Seon-mi’s bully
- Lee Yong-yi as Jin Seon-mi’s grandmother
- Kim Ji-sung as the ghost who died losing 30 kg for an audition
- Kim Yeon-woo as TV show “Superstar” judge Kim Yeon-woo
- Choi Dae-sung as broadcasting station PD
- Yoo Yeon-jung as Lee Da-in
- Park Sang-hoon as Eun-seong
- Baek Seung-hee as the woman possessed by wooden doll ghost’s bride
- Kang Jae-joon and Lee Eun-hyung as the newlyweds
- Min Sung-wook as Saekjungki
- Son Young-sun as the street vendor who sold Seon-mi popcorn
- Seo Yoon-ah as Mi-joo, Seon-mi’s pregnant cousin
- Jung Jae-eun as Maternal Aunt
- Jang Keun-suk as Gong Jak, a peacock demon
- Kang Sung-pil as Gangster
- Ham Na-young as Akiko, the Japanese spirit
- Park Seung-tae as Kang Myung-ja
- Jo Sung-ha as the man reading a newspaper who told Ma-wang about the time in the movie
- Park Seul-gi as Reporter
- Kim Mi-hye as a heartbroken woman
- Bang Su-jin as Mermaid
Korean Odyssey Season 2 Expected Plotline
The renewal of A Korean Odyssey for a second season has not been announced, but I anticipate a similarly intricate plot. Those who watched the first season of A Korean Odyssey can make educated guesses about what will happen in the second. Season 2 of A Korean Odyssey could pick up directly after the events of Season 1, or it could introduce an entirely new storyline with fresh turns of events.
A Korean Odyssey Season 2 Release Date
After five years, the audience is demanding more. It now seems unlikely that a second season of A Korean Odyssey will be made, making it impossible to estimate when it could air. Even if a spinoff is developed in the coming years, we could not see it until 2023 or 2024.
A Korean Odyssey Season 2 Trailer
On TVN on the 15th of December, a trailer for the first season of Korean Odyssey premiered. The preview lasted for 4 minutes and 40 seconds. There is currently no trailer information for season 2.
A Korean Odyssey Season 1 Rating
Ratings are used as a yardstick by everyone. If you want to know if a show will be canceled or renewed, look no further than the ratings. The higher the scores, the safer the situation is. The show has received positive reviews from audiences and critics alike, earning an 8.0/10 rating on IMDb and an 82% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Where to Watch a Korean Odyssey?
The TVN network is the official home for this series, so that’s where you should tune in if you want to see it. Netflix is where you can go to view this show if you want to stream it online. So, if you haven’t seen an episode up to this point, you can catch up on any of these services